Terri's Post processed Image

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by DanWhite, Oct 10, 2005.

1. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I week or two ago, I post processed a couple of images for Terri. Here are the steps I used to accomplish this. I will also post the actions I used to my website for download. Most of the actions I use are from action central.

I will go step by step and include all of the settings etc.
    I am using Nikon Capture 4.3.2 and Adobe Photoshop 6

here is the original shot.

My first thought here are the shot is a little underexposed and the background, although beautiful and vibrant is a little distracting.

Step 1: EV Comp: In Nikon Capture, under advanced raw, but the exposure to +0.33.
    View attachment 16646

Step 2: White Balance: I like warm tones so I bumped the white balance here to Daylight cloudy then fine tunes to 6100 Kelvin.
    View attachment 16647

Now lets open this up in Photo shop
    Step 3: Blemish and shine removal: Using the clone stamp, I did a bit of blemish and shine removal. This is much easier in PS CS with the healing brush.
    View attachment 16648

Step 4: Skin Softening: I wanted to soften the skin a little here an also the background. So I used and action called Soft Focus. After this action runs, it gives you an option to adjust the gaussian blur I set it to 2.0. This softened the females face while leaving a bit of texture in the males.
    No I will go over the eyes, lips, teeth, eyebrows, jewelry, or anything that should remain sharp with the history brush.
    View attachment 16649

Step 5: Distracting Background: Here I will use the custom vignette action from action central:
    I use the select area of interest part of the action, which uses the elliptical marquee tool to make an oval around there faces, down to the hands
    Now I run the vignette action
    1) The action asks how much to feather the selection. use the default of 250
    2) Now it asks to add noise. I select 6.98 and distribution of gaussian
    3) Next is asks from amount of gaussian blur I select 7.0
    4) Now it brings up the hue and saturation master lightness: I change the defaults to Hue 0, saturation +7, and Lightness -15
    5) Now it brings up a curves adjustment and I tweak the upper point to my liking
    6) Now it brings up a USM Adjustment apply to you liking.
    View attachment 16650

Step 6: St this point I'm ready to crop and a little USM and save.

The difference between each stage do not look that dramatic in the posted images but if you go to the below link and start with the first image and page through each you will see a bigger difference.

Pbase retouching

The actions can be downloaded here The 2 actions I used were the sift focus and custom vignette, I included a couple more that I use regurarly

Actions

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very Very nice.
    Job well done.

Thanks for the tut.

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you for all your work

I sure hope everyone who was wanting to see this realizes that it is here.

Your instructions are great. I took some bridal shots of my daughter on Saturday. We want to have a couple of portraits of her displayed at her wedding reception. I have applied the help you gave me on the engagement pictures to the bridal shots. I think they are turning out really nice.

Thank you again for your wonderful help.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;