Territorial action, an angry Mom

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Territorial action, an angry Mom
    Few get to see

OK two nests within ½ mile of each other. Both have fledged young and are flying. I am at the end of an open area about 400 feet from this lagoon type spot and there is one immature on the ground at the water edge I am watching. I see one of the adult birds soaring high above the area in circles just watching. A second immature comes flying in to the water edge and wants to join the first one. I do not at this time know if they are siblings or not. The second immature lands close but not real close and has to walk down to the other. There is some wing action by the second bird as it walks to the waters edge to join the other young eagle. Before the two can join they both look to the sky and this is where the entire world for one of these two young eagles turns into a lesson on life.
    Both young eagles take to the air and are acting like they are trying to get away. There are about 5 photos showing them in the air and it is the next one we see the adult making her approach in the attack. As you can see in the series that follow the young eagle tries to turn onto its back in defense as it takes a hard hit from the infuriated adult as the second immature continues to fly in the area. Water is spraying all over and I am sure a rescue is about to have to take place but the youngster by turning to its back was OK after the hit and took to the air as the adult flew to a roost she frequented a lot.
    This entire action took no more than seconds and I fired several bursts and from the distance I was at I thought it showed up pretty well. It was my 500 + a 1.4 TE off a monopod.
    Lou
    PS in the #5 photo that is a Raven landing

Click here for slide show http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157600451161310/show/

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Wow! That eagle on its back is something else! I guess it knew it had messed up.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW holey Hannah

What shots and action
    Fantastic.

Thank you

4. Lou,

what an incredible catch, the whole series. Congratulations - just amazing.

Thanks for sharing

Lil

5. Andy Now you know what I was saying about the better camera and tracking and speed. Like I said this lasted only seconds and those poor young ones are neighbors as I can see both nests from one spot so you can just imagine what they can see. That little one is only about 16 weeks old yet it knew to get into a good defence other wise I would have been very wet and most likely bloody getting it to rehab. Thanks for looking.
    Lou

6. Thanks Gale and I think that's what that young eagle was thinking, Holy Hanna what did I do??? Welll it was in the wrong back yard. For sure.
    Lou

7. Thanks Lil but something like this is really luck as I said this lasted seconds and I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time with the right equipment. If I had a 300mm lens on I would have had nothing. The Gods were smileing on me that day. I also had seen an aireil fight between the two males but it was to great a distance to photograph. Eagles just can't live this close with out some trouble. It is just their way.
    Lou

8. That is quite a show Lou very well done.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    the young eagles instinct is amazing. So young and knows what to do. That hasn't been taught.

It was just taught to stay out of others backyards though:>))))

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  10. WOW, I'm speechless! Did the adult kill the younger one that was on its' back? I'm amazed you were able to keep clicking! I think I would have frozen stiff! Awsome series for sure!

11. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Very nice Lou,I bet that was something to see,and you also got to capture it thanks for sharing these.

12. Thanks Gary Yes it was a show alright. Short but it was almost like I could see it coming from the way they looked up into the sky and than took off.
    I know that there are times you can be pretty sure of what an eagle is going to do just by being around them for so long. Yup you can see um looking down the barrell of the lens right into your eyeball and you into theirs. Sometimes quit a standoff.
    Lou

13. Yes Gale you got that right for sure. I was so glad to see it fly away OK. That adult female is the same bird we built that platform nesr for back in 2005. I posted on the building of it. She is a 1996 born bird and a heck of a Mom. She is all eagle. As for them knowing what to do I think it's pretty much born into them as if its one thing an eagle likes its to fight. You have seen the photos of the young at banding and they are only 5 or 6 weeks old than and still draw blood most of the time with those talons and beak just that their not as strong than. I got this pair in another grusome sight and maybe I'll post it but it is grusome to watch. Thanks for looking.
    Lou

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Please post it.
    I love seeing what nature does... Great learning

I did not know Eagles like to fight.

But to slow to get those pesty ravens and little birds that are truly pests

15. Thanks Dianne, No the young bird was from the other nest and was intruding into anothers area.The very last photo was it heading home to its nest area. Like I say the nests are only about a 1/2 mile apart if that and believe me this is not a good thing. Several fights in the air have occured over the last 3 years and I got to see one and it was scary when they lock talons and just tumble to the ground in a crash. Many times resulting in death. As for the clicking well I don't do a lot of clicking but I do hold that shutter down as long as I am locked on. If I loose the focus in a flight I stop and try to refocus ASAP and stay with the flight again. I may loose a few from the loss of the lock on but I get back a lot more than I would have had I not bothered to retry. I actually fired I thnk maybe 3 bursts here resulting in about 45 to 50 photos. A fast camera with a good buffer is great at these times. A fully charged battery won;t hurt either.:biggrin::biggrin:
    Lou

16. THanks Tim, something to see, you bet it was and thats what they call luck right time, right place, just do it or at least try. The people that are involved with our eagles and falcons every day were quite pleased seeing these photos as they did provide a lot of info or feed back about the needs of space for eagle nesting and were quite surprised when I told them where they were taken from as all are familar with the area. It is a good 400 feet but I had great afternoon light right on the entire happening and that made some difference. Happy to share with you and the crew here.
    LOU