Test Drive of a D700

I have just returned from the 63rd annual photo conference of the New England Camera Club Council. Both Canon and Nikon had representatives with product displays. One of the things offered was a loaner camera for an hour. I had the good fortune of shooting a D700 with the 14-24/2.8 for an hour out on the campus of the Univ of Mass at Amherst. Wow! What a camera! We were told that the camera should be available by the end of August. For those wanting a full frame Nikon, the D700 should fill the bill.

The D3 was also available, but I did not shoot it. The rest of the time I used my own D300/18-200 VR.

Cheers, Bill P.

I have just returned from the 63rd annual photo conference of the New England Camera Club Council. Both Canon and Nikon had representatives with product displays. One of the things offered was a loaner camera for an hour. I had the good fortune of shooting a D700 with the 14-24/2.8 for an hour out on the campus of the Univ of Mass at Amherst. Wow! What a camera! We were told that the camera should be available by the end of August. For those wanting a full frame Nikon, the D700 should fill the bill.

The D3 was also available, but I did not shoot it. The rest of the time I used my own D300/18-200 VR.

Cheers, Bill P.

were you allowed to use your own memory card and keep the images?
i bet not.... as has been the history of nikon and other manufacturers

we'd love to hear more

Yes, I used my memory card and have images. I took one inside showing the Nikon table at ISO 3200 and it is very clear. I then took lots of shots outside and they are fine images. Sadly, I don't know how to post images here at the Cafe.

The viewfinder is fine, but then again so is the one on the D300.... I really could not tell a difference. I like the D700 and feel it will be a big seller for Nikon. For me, the D300 serves me well and I will not be moving up.
Cheers, Bill P.

END OF AUGUST?!?! Wonder what happened to shipping the end of July? Maybe it's a good thing - I'll have more time to save for the one I have ordered!

Yes, I used my memory card and have images. I took one inside showing the Nikon table at ISO 3200 and it is very clear. I then took lots of shots outside and they are fine images. Sadly, I don't know how to post images here at the Cafe.

The viewfinder is fine, but then again so is the one on the D300.... I really could not tell a difference. I like the D700 and feel it will be a big seller for Nikon. For me, the D300 serves me well and I will not be moving up.
Cheers, Bill P.

Bill, to post images here is easy if not obvious. Since NC isn't a "hosting" site, you have to put your images somewhere on the internet (smugmug, pbase, zenfolio, etc) then LINK the image you want from that site to here. It sounds harder than it is.

Anyone here can walk you through the process - and, in fact, we're all pretty anxious to get our hands on some more D700 files, so let us know and we'll try to help!

How would you compare the handling and feel of the D700 vs the D300? I have a number of FX-type lenses, and am trying to see where the D700 would be a major advantage.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony, the D700 feels and operated like the D300.... which is nice! The card door opening mechanism is different, but works fine.

Vinman, he may have said a good supply by the end of August, sorry can't be sure. I am not on the list so did not pay that much attention. Also, too much trouble to post photos here on the Cafe so I posted some on the Nikonian site.
Cheers, Bill P.

Thanks, Peter! I was coming here to the Cafe to post a link and you beat me to it. The high ISO on the D700 is amazing, but it is also amazing on the D300 and the D3.

It sure would be nice if we could upload directly here at the Cafe like I do on several other sites.
Cheers, Bill P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom