Test focus chart site

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, May 17, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

It's good to have this posted from time to time. I downloaded the test sheet some time ago after reading so many posts (in another forum) about "back focus" issues. My test of my D70 showed it was just fine.

This is a good, easy test for anyone who has any doubts about their camera's focus.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi rich-

i haven't seen this link before, thanks for posting it. something to try out this weekend as i'm a bit worried about a possible focusing issue with my d2h and 70-200mm VR.

thanks again,

ricky

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Anybody with a D70 who's struggling with too many OOF shots should definitely do this test. For the longest time I couldn't understand why I had so many shots where focus was off. After testing and determining I have a back-focus issue I sent it off to Nikon to be fixed. I am SO glad I did, it made a world of difference in focus accuracy.

(I should note I have one of the early D70's, purchased late April 2004)

4. I am new to DSLR digital, (was a film guy) and I am alittle confused. If there is back focus problem, it might be the lens or the camera's fault. Might be both...
    That I understand...but I have seen on other forums one might have to adjust the camera and lens. what I don't understands is the following:
    If you make adjustments to the camera for a particular lens to to overcome Back focus, does that screw up your camera for your other lens?
    If you have 2 lens that work on the camera and one that has BF, I would say it is the lens. You send in the lens and Nikon says it is fine. What next?

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    D70 backfocusing problem and test chart

I haven't been able to open Rich's link (the server may be down). I ran accross the following website which gives some nice explanations on testing focus and the D70 backfocusing issue with early cameras:

http://www.leongoodman.com/d70focus.html

There is also an instruction on how to correct the focus on the D70, but I guess I would leave this to the Nikon service center to fix.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Just managed to open Rich's link (seems the server was temporarily down). Thanks Rich, very helpful link. Will give it try to see if my D70 (one of the first models) has a backfocus problem (I have some images where this would be an explanation).

7. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Has anyone done this test after uploading the the D70 firmware upgrade?