Test image D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by nfoto, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

To give an idea of what the newcomer can achieve,

b_210745.

(jpg fine, 300/2.8 AFS @f/11, 1/10 sec, ISO 100)

100% crops are popular amongst the pixel peepers, so let them have a field day

View attachment 21229

NO sharpening in camera!

Another shot from the same shoot is submitted to Challenge#17.

2. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I like this image -- it looks wonderful!! And it's a great example of the quality of the camera... guess I will reconsider the JPG shooting issue I raised in another thread...

3. Wow! What a fantastic shot, Bjørn! Love the colors!

4. Bjorn,

This camera is showing that it is a fine camera after all. I need to pick up my X more often and do some shooting. Very nice sharpening without the in camera sharpening plus fantastic exposure.

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Wow, great picture. How did you achieve the colors in the ice?

By the way, regarding the little CA in the 100% crop - how does it compare to other cameras using the same lens, or other lenses? Looks like nothing to worry about, but I'm still curious.

Moreover, I'd like to know if the first pic was sharpened? It doesn't look like, but that could be a sign of good work. The 100% crop doesn't look like being sharpened either (I also imply that no in-camera sharpening means also no PP sharpening).

In other words - how the hell do you create these fantastic pictures?

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I just take them. It's a question of being familiar with the locations and the way they change with light. This is just 5 minutes away from my home.

In this case, I'm flat down into the snow to get the background sky free of obstacles. I did know prior to shooting that I could get a clear view there, the ice was just a bonus.

At dusk the sky colours are like this in the direction where the sun sets. Elsewhere everything is cold and blue. so you do get a healthy mix of colours.

The full-frame is just sharpened for web display, the 100% crop is unsharpened. No sharpening applied in camera.

The CA is possibly created by the jpg engine, couldn't see it in Nikon Capture when I looked at the NEF, but there could be other explanations as well. Remember ice is a refractive medium so you do get colours refracted at its air interface (plus at every small internal crack or around trapped air).

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for your reply and explanations, Bjorn! I had another look at the crop and your explanation regarding refraction makes sense. At first glance I thought there was a color shift on the left side of the ice, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So it looks like a natural phenomenon or color (well, isn't color phenomenal?).

I'd love to take a shot like this - the're only 3 problems:
    1. I have a wooden fence/wall around the garden
    2. It's cold now, down to 9C at night, but never had any ice here
    3. I'd have to shoot away another 1M pictures to get to this :smile:

Hope you had a nice hot cup of tea (with something to strengthen it) after the shooting.

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

It's a wonderfully expressive shot based on personal vision but hardly something to hang the D200's hat on for comparison.

It looks posterized and two dimensional to me. The full sized image looks to be oversharpened based on the halos exhibited. Perhaps the halos are a natural wrap around lighting as found in this situation but it looks like oversharpening to me. As such I would have edited it down. The small detail crop lacks clarity and definition to my eye on my system. Once again, very posterized looking. That's fine for Fine Art but inconclusive as a standard for evaluation other than that.

The disclaimer is that I have enjoyed Bjorn's creative approach having followed it on his website for years. However, these shots offer nothing substantive from a 'normal' photographic perspective with which to evaluate this camera. The best that could be said is that Bjorn has found another tool that suits his personal style.

Just one man's opinion.

9. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Bjørn,

I love your work. Do you give provide instruction, or offer workshops or seminars? I know a few people who'd be interested.

10. Bjorn,
    I find this picture to be a good example of the camera's inherent capabilities. Your eye for such is amazing.
    dave

11. Impressive! Some haloes present though - PP or is the in camera sharpening less sophisticated than the D2s?

Ming

12. Love the image Bjorn. You always manage to come up with something a little different. Way to go.

13. I guess it comes down to your definition of quality. I'm not seeing mindblowing detail at 100% either (wasn't expected, then again do you really do all your prints at 100%?) but I am seeing incredibly deep tones and smooth gradations which really bring out the colors bigtime on the D200. For a body I'm more interested in tonal reproduction than I am in absolute sharpness, and I think for that the D200 excels.

Nice shot bjorn. Now write in your review that AIS metering doesn't work on the D200 so we can drop the prices back down on AIS glass.

14. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Good points Mike. This camera does exhibit good color saturation with smooth gradations.