Test of D300 AF Fine Tune Focus (examples now)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Commodorefirst, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Simply stated, it works wonders, :biggrin:

Some of my lenses worked better or worse on some cameras for slight front or backfocus at wide open apertures, I tended to shoot some lenses on certain bodies because at 1.4 or wide open, the camera was spot on with this lens but on the other D200 or D2Xs it might have back focused or front focused a bit. Every camera is just a smidge different, and coupled with the lenses, I actually had a card set up for which lens with what camera for those 1.4 or critical focus situations.

Well those days are over. I just took all my Prime lenses and set up a focus test and I was able to dial in all of my prime lenses with the AF fine Tune. They are in the memory and the camera automatically remembers the lens etc. etc. so Cool!:biggrin:

I left the camera overall setting set to default, and I found my 105Vr was spot on, the 50 1.4 was spot on, my 85 1.4 needed an adjustment of +10, which means it was front focusing a tiny amount at super close range, and my 35 f2 needed +5. UPDATE: 200-400VR at 400mm set at -5. So this shows how if I had sent in the camera to adjust for a slight tendency to focus one way or the other, front or back, I would have lenses that wouldn't match perfectly.

At ranges of 2' feet or so I was able to adjust the AF fine focus to move the focus point nearly an inch forward and or backward with a setting of +20 or -20. Very very nice. This of course means that at long ranges the front/back focus range is even greater. With my 180 Prime I was able to move the focus area at least a foot front to back at 40 yds. UPDATE: 200-400 at 400mm at 20 yds, moved it around 4-5 inches max, but I only needed about an inch or two correction. so I set it at -5 for now. The lens was just in focus and then in focus for a ways behind the point, so it had a tendency to be in focus to back focus, now I am split about 50/50 front/back of the focus spot.

Thought I would let you all know the good news. Very easy to use and very very nice. for those of us who shoot indoors wide open this is great news!

Wade

examples:

Examples:

setup:
    [​IMG]

-20 setting:
    [​IMG]

-10, starting to come to center:
    [​IMG]

Centered, 0:
    [​IMG]

+20 toward the back:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
  2. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Very cool indeed!

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Wade - I just read the usual sparse instructions from the manual. The actions in the camera appear pretty strait forward but how did you determine how much to dial in and when the adjustment was correct? Did you just use the LCD , zoom in and adjust for the next shot to get close?

4. Wade,

Thanks for some great information. This will be a really useful feature for those who regularly shoot with a variety of fast lenses.

Regards,

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I just took a shot with timer release on the tripod to avoid any blurred photos, and checked for focus on the LCD and zoomed in to read the text and adjusted up or down in increments to get it dialed in.

6. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Examples:

setup:
    [​IMG]

-20 setting:
    [​IMG]

-10, starting to come to center:
    [​IMG]

Centered, 0:
    [​IMG]

+20 toward the back:
    [​IMG]

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, I am always skeptical of little features like this, but it is great to hear that it actually works!

8. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Does it work with 3rd party lenses?

Wade, thanks for the report. Have you tried it with any 3rd party lenses?

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nope, I don't own any, but it seems like since it worked with a non AF-S lens it should work with a third party lens.

10. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Perfect subjects to use. Thanks for the pictures.

11. Hi yes all lenses with a CPU.

Phillip.

12. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks for the demo Wade. I was just reading the new capabilities of the D300 and took this capability to be more for non-AF lens. Now I can see how this can be helpful for AFS lens as well.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wade,

Thanks so much for the update. When I first saw this feature on the 1DMk3, I was almost ready to jump to Canon immediately. My 300 and 400 both had very slight FF on my D200, and I often dreamed of having such capability. My D2Hs is just about perfect with the 400, and I worried about buying a new cam just because I didn't want to lose that.

When I read that the new D3/300 also had this feature, I was tremendously excited. I really didn't expect it so soon from Nikon. Thanks for the demo. :smile:

14. Thanks for the demonstration, Wade. This will turn out to be one of my favorite features with the new D300. In the past, the only way to do what you are doing was to send both the camera and the lens into Nikon...and that was only one combination. This should really help us all! I'm especially interested in using it with my 85 f/1.4, 105 and 135 2DC lenses.

Regards,

Paul

15. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes I was rather suprised how much I could change (as in example the 50 1.4 from 3 feet away)

You are welcomd

Yep, should work well with the high end lenses too.

Items like this are one reason why the D300 (even if it had the same ISO as the D200) is a major upgrade. I too was concerned because I have a solid 200-400 with the D200 combo that is just spot on, and I was concerned about switching bodies again

It sure helped on my 85 a lot. Before I only had one camera that really was dialed in, now I don't have to worry!

WAde

16. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Excellent test, Wade. From you, I can see and trust your results more than any ad from the manufacturer.

17. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    how many lens can it remember? I have heard conflicting answers.

18. Good to hear it works as advertised. I'm really looking forward to this feature.

Did you try this with zooms? If so where did you make the adjustment.....short end or long end?

19. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    You are welcome!

I haven't a clue, I have 5 in there now.

Not yet,

Going out with my 200-400Vr to shoot trumpeter swans as we speak,
    Later.........:biggrin:

Wade

20. Don't know about D300, but D3 manual states 20.