Test pics from upcoming portrait shoot, got FLASH questions!

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Went over to these people's house this afternoon to scout the location, and take test pics for their Xmas pics tomorrow. They want the causeway water to be in the background, so that puts the sun behind them at the camera right 2 o'clock position at 4:30 pm. Am also going to be shooting downward at them to make all of the background just water. How much flash should I hit them with on a bright sunny day from about 20 ft away, and what do you recommend I set the exp values to, given they're going to be side & backlit? I want their faces properly exposed, but want the water to be also. PS, I used an SB800 mounted on a RRS Perfect Portrait rig with the diffusion dome attached.
    Here's the results fom my test shoot.
    The midtones were brought WAY up for both of these, and the Mrs' skin softened a bit:
    original.
    Nikon D2Hs
    Focal Length: 70mm
    Optimize Image:
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    High ISO NR: Off
    2005/12/03 14:43:13.3
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    White Balance: Color Temp. (5000 K)
    Tone Comp.: Low Contrast
    RAW (12-bit)
    Metering Mode: Center-Weighted
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Hue Adjustment: +3°
    Image Size: Large (2464 x 1632)
    1/2000 sec - F/2.8
    Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
    Saturation: Normal
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Auto Flash Mode: Balanced i-TTL
    Sharpening: Normal
    Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Auto Flash Comp: +3.0 EV

Got milk? :wink:
    original.
    Nikon D2Hs
    Focal Length: 70mm
    Optimize Image:
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    High ISO NR: Off
    2005/12/03 14:48:56.5
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    White Balance: Color Temp. (5000 K)
    Tone Comp.: Low Contrast
    RAW (12-bit)
    Metering Mode: Center-Weighted
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Hue Adjustment: +3°
    Image Size: Large (2464 x 1632)
    1/1500 sec - F/2.8
    Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
    Saturation: Normal
    Exposure Comp.: +0.3 EV
    Auto Flash Mode: i-TTL
    Sharpening: Normal
    Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Auto Flash Comp: +2.0 EV

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
  2. Steve, I can tell you what I do for what it is worth. I put the camera in manual exposure and while metering the background I set it at -1. I then recompose the shot on the subject and set the SB800 on TTL and take a shot. I adjust my SB800 either up or down depending on the histogram reading. Works for me.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I sure wished I understood you better Gordon

You say while metering the backgound, you set "it" at -1. What's "it", the camera? Sorry I'm so dense, but I haven't had much *successful* experience using the SB800. Also, should I be in regular iTTL, and not iTTL BL?

4. Yes, the camera. While looking through the viewfinder with the camera pointed at the background I adjust the shutter speed until the meter drops to -1. This will ensure that the background is slightly darker than the subject. The light from the SB800 bouncing off the subject is metered by the flash in TTL and shuts it off when the proper exposure is reached. Remember the camera is in manual.

The other way you can do this is to leave the camera in P or A and let the CLS system control the flash in iTTL. I would use center weighted metering.

The difference in the two methods is that in the first one, the photographer is in control of the background exposure and in the second, the camera and flash are in control.

5. Gordon...Thanks for that info. I learned something new and thanks to Steve for asking it.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    oh, thanks Gordon, I got it now. Better get some more test pics using this procedure!