Test shot playing with lighting and shadows for my boys senior pics- test pics of me any help welcome :)

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I really like the use of the shadows on the wall.

In the first photo, if you want the arm to be the part of the image the eye sees first, you succeeded. If you want the face to be seen first, it needs to be the brightest part of the scene rather than the arm.

In the second photo, I'm certain you don't want the right elbow to attract the eye first, but that's what happens. Again, make the face the brightest part.

Those changes could easily be done during post-processing. My point is that you have the option of changing your lighting or leaving it as is and addressing the issue during post-processing.

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
I really like the use of the shadows on the wall.

In the first photo, if you want the arm to be the part of the image the eye sees first, you succeeded. If you want the face to be seen first, it needs to be the brightest part of the scene rather than the arm.

In the second photo, I'm certain you don't want the right elbow to attract the eye first, but that's what happens. Again, make the face the brightest part.

Those changes could easily be done during post-processing. My point is that you have the option of changing your lighting or leaving it as is and addressing the issue during post-processing.
thanks just experimenting with the lights :) son wants a dark themed photo with shadows

Real Name
Andrew
I would use a small grid, higher angle to get just the face and upper torso. It will give you something like this, self portrait I did a few years ago.

03-25-2012_messing_around_DSC_9154-Edit.jpg

If you don't have access to a grid, then a snoot might also do what you are looking for and can be made at home out of paper and tape if need be. Might need a second or reflector to pop some fill up under the hat, if he is set on wearing it.

Last edited:
Real Name
Keith Jalbert
I would use a small grid, higher angle to get just the face and upper torso. It will give you something like this, self portrait I did a few years ago.

View attachment 1677558

If you don't have access to a grid, then a snoot might also do what you are looking for and can be made at home out of paper and tape if need be. Might need a second or reflector to pop some fill up under the hat, if he is set on wearing it.
Thanks I have neewwer 5500s constant with barn doors.. Ill play around with them

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom