1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Test: Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM vs Nikon 50mm 1.4 AF-D (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Kotani, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Kotani

Kotani Guest

I just received the Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM today, and I just wanted to post some pictures and full frame crops from the two lenses.

As you can see, the sigma is much larger than the nikon.
    sidebyside.
    NIKON D3    ---    70mm    f/11.0    1/1s    ISO 200

On to the pictures (all f/1.4 taken with D3)

Full Picture (Sigma)
    sigmafull.
    NIKON D3    ---    50mm    f/1.4    1/30s    ISO 200

Full Picture (Nikon)
    nikonfull.
    NIKON D3    ---    50mm    f/1.4    1/30s    ISO 200

Center Crop (Sigma top, Nikon bottom)
    sigmacenter14.
    nikoncenter14.

Remote Crop (Sigma top, Nikon bottom)
    sigmaremote14.
    nikonremote14.

Lamp Crop (Sigma top, Nikon bottom)
    sigmalamp14.
    nikonlamp14.

Food Package Crop (Sigma top, Nikon bottom)
    sigmakim14.
    nikonkim14.

Conclusions: I'm not too happy about the Sigma in terms of center sharpness at 1.4. There seems to be some kind of strange offset in color, that goes away when stopped down a bit and strange optical abrasions.

Center crop Sigma at 1.4 and 2.8
    View attachment 245745 sigmacenter28.

In terms of Bokeh though, I am very pleased. I was never happy with the bokeh of the nikon 50, and I feel I like the bokeh of the Sigma much better.

Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know how this lens performs, initially. I'll have some time to really use it in the field later, so I'll update everyone as I go.

2. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    Try setting the white balance on the camera to match the light of the room. I have found that some sigma lenses don't work as well with auto WB.

3. The bokeh from the Sigma is much smoother to my eyes, but the sharpness doesn't seem any better than the Nikkor.

Did you precisely focus for this, because depth of field at 1.4 is razor thin.

4. Cool!

Bokeh looks better then the Nikkor thus far.

How is the build ? (well i expect it to be better then the Nikkor 50/1,4, but that doesnt say much...)

Considering the ammount of glass in that plastic barrel, im a littel weary.

Still undecided if im to try out the sigma(i have it on pre-order, still no sign of shipping though) or just wait and see what photokina has to offer...

Thanx for sharing!
    Kindest

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    saying the sigma is larger is an understatement!!!!!!! why would it be so huge? is it the motor? i wonder the same thing abotu the diference between sigma 30 and nikon 35s...

anyway, i like your remote!

thanks for doing these tests for us!

k

6. Based on this test

Based on this test - for my own personal taste I like the bokeh of the Nikon lens better and the wider focus pane of the Sigma.

Seems like the focus pane of the Nikon is about 1/4 of an inch and the Sigma lens almost an inch which is them way more suitable for portraits and shooting younger children.

The Sigma is a winner for sure but the Nikon has more appeal to me for it bokeh which I like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.