Test: Z7II and Nikon 300 f/4 pf with Nikon 1.4 III TC

Trying to decide whether it's worth getting the Nikon 2.0 Z TC to give me more reach for the Z7II. To help me decide I thought I should try the 1.4 TC on a 300 pf and adapter to the Z7II.
The conditions were: dull grey morning, with some wind. Images were taken hand held, manual mode, Single point AF, Auto ISO, F/5.6, 1/400ss. Images were straight out of camera, resized for web, no sharpening or other adjustments applied.
1a. Small birds 20-25 ft away.
Nuthatch 20 ft away 1294.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1b. The crop:
Nuthatch 20 ft away 1294 cropped .jpg

Not great focus on the eye of the little bird
2a. Larger bird: 25 ft
Hairy 25ft 1314.jpg

2b. The crop:
Hairy 25ft 1314 crop.jpg

3a. Largest bird today 25 ft away
Jay 20 ft 1300.jpg

3b. The crop:
Jay 20 ft 1300 crop.jpg

4a. The Squirrel: 10 ft away
Squirrel 10 ft 1304.jpg

4b The crop:
Squirrel 10 ft 1304 crop.jpg

Overall I would estimate that for my purposes this combo resulted in ~ 75% keeper rate. No doubt if I would have used a tripod then the keeper rate could have been better, especially for the smaller birds at distance where eye focus noticeably dropped off. Again for my purposes I believe that this combo would give me enough acceptable results that I will forgo purchasing the Z2.0 TC and probably wait for when the 100-400 Z comes out. Thanks for looking.

But you haven't actually compared the 300+TC to the 70-200+TC? I ask because I'm trying to answer the same question for myself. I have a 70-200 coming (eventually) and the TC2.0Z is on backorder. I also have the 300PF+TC14 combination . . .

But you haven't actually compared the 300+TC to the 70-200+TC? I ask because I'm trying to answer the same question for myself. I have a 70-200 coming (eventually) and the TC2.0Z is on backorder. I also have the 300PF+TC14 combination . . .
You're very right I haven't had the opportunity to test out the TC 2.0 Z. I have the 70-200 S lens and love it. The 2.0Z TC is on back order which is what caused me to try out the 300 pf and 1.4 combo. I found the results acceptable enough for me to not purchase the expensive TC and wait for a Z lens with a longer reach than the 70-200 eg 100-400 Z . The other reason is that while the online reviews for the 1.4Z TC are favourable, reviews for the 2.0 Z TC are mixed.

Cameralabs is the only written on-line review I've found of the 2.0Z and they are somewhat equivocal. Frankly I don't understand their statement about the 2.0Z:

"Regarding the Z TC 2.0x I’d rather wait: You’d probably need an excellent telephoto prime lens to see the full potential which the TC-2.0x can deliver!"

Are they suggesting that the 2.0 will perform better on a prime than on the 70-200? It just seems like an odd statement.

Ricci gives his usual pretty well considered review, although he is looking at comparing the 500PF with the 70-200/TC20Z combination. It's no surprise that he gives the nod to the 500PF -

Cameralabs is the only written on-line review I've found of the 2.0Z and they are somewhat equivocal. Frankly I don't understand their statement about the 2.0Z:

"Regarding the Z TC 2.0x I’d rather wait: You’d probably need an excellent telephoto prime lens to see the full potential which the TC-2.0x can deliver!"

Are they suggesting that the 2.0 will perform better on a prime than on the 70-200? It just seems like an odd statement.

Ricci gives his usual pretty well considered review, although he is looking at comparing the 500PF with the 70-200/TC20Z combination. It's no surprise that he gives the nod to the 500PF -
Here's another review - albeit non written - that influenced me to wait and be satisfied with using an F mount lens with adapter

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom