Testing... 1,2,3....

Hello is anyone out there?
To be honest I don't know many names at this place so I guess I better introduce myself...

My name is Doug Barber and I'm just a guy who loves to take images and every once and a while I actually get one that is worth saving.

I sort of have good gear with a selection of D3's, D200's and D40X bodies, underwater D200 housing, remote camera Kite rig, My lens selection ranges from 12mm to 400mm and as a kit the whole darn thing weights to much for this old fart! I don't really like camera gear to much as it weights to much but without it a photographer like me would have a really hard job doing what I do!

For the past year I've been taking images in what most would consider not the best weather conditions. With cold weather, wind and almost anything else you can think of coming my way.

Last weekend I found myself in the heat of the south and just could not stand it any longer...

Headed to my shop and began to think about creating an image about people who are heading out of high school and into the next section of their lives. As many will know this can be a bit of an adventure as they think about what is coming down the road of life and how or what direction to send their lives.

The more I thought about it the more my mind kept picturing an image that showed a young person thinking of their future... So as I said earlier, it is hot outside and I needed to get out of the heat. Into the shop I went to create a piece that would tell the story of "Thought". The mood should be somber.... and a little rain would not hurt.
So with a few stands, backdrop, a spare window a bottle of water (for the rain).... and a couple SB800 guns to create the lighting and a little moving crap around one can actually create a decent image.

Here is what the make-up looked like:

_DB36737.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A second (scene) shot so you see how I set the guns and get an idea the type of lighting I was looking for:

_DB36736.jpg

Well at the end of the day I ended up with this.....

Hope you enjoy

stacy_window_w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Doug my friend... you have been missed. I have often wondered how you were fairing in the Artic. So long with no word made me wonder.
This image is superb and seeing your props makes it even better.
Take care and hope we get a chance to talk again soon.
Dave

Doug! Welcome back to warmer climes. when did your research project end and you get your feet back on unfrozen tundra?

Hi Doug,
You are well known at this place even though you have been away for a while. Welcome back to the forum. As usual you have provided us with a unique view. Keep up the good work, and welcome back.:smile:

Real Name
Mike
Yes, very nice image. I like the setup. I wouldn't have imagined that image from the first picture.

Doug my friend... you have been missed. I have often wondered how you were fairing in the Artic. So long with no word made me wonder.
This image is superb and seeing your props makes it even better.
Take care and hope we get a chance to talk again soon.
Dave

Well Hello Dave:

Sorry I've been out of touch. But it seems that even when I'm not north I'm working on images and suppling different shots for publications.

In a lot of ways it will be good to get this thing over as I will have time again.

that image is fantastic
i appreciate the setup images

very well done

Thanks Greg

Doug! Welcome back to warmer climes. when did your research project end and you get your feet back on unfrozen tundra?

Actually its still going....
I'm just home for another week and then heading back again. Mind you we are at least getting to the point were I can see the end!
Thanks for the comments

Wow! That is so cool. I wouldn't have thought to stage something like that. Mind if I take the lesson and try to make my own?

Thanks for the kind words.... sometimes doing a set-up works much better than waiting for the moment.

Hi Doug,
You are well known at this place even though you have been away for a while. Welcome back to the forum. As usual you have provided us with a unique view. Keep up the good work, and welcome back.:smile:

Hi Ed:
Good to see there is still a few people still around. I was beginning to feel (you-all) went to a different site and did not tell me....

Yes, very nice image. I like the setup. I wouldn't have imagined that image from the first picture.

Thanks for the comments.... sometimes one can get a natural look without doing very much

Doug,

It's so good to hear from you and to know that you have had a chance to thaw out!! Your image is fantastic. It's thought provoking and definitely captured my attention. Good luck with the rest of your project. Please keep us posted on your progress.

You and your wonderful images have been sorely missed around here, Douglas. Glad to have you back, and sharing your setup and images. :smile:

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
So happy to hear from you Doug. It's a great setup and photo.

Hey my friend, welcome home from the frozen tundra of the north countries. I see you are up to you old tricks of creating outstanding images or as some would say, making a purse out of a sow's ear. So nice to hear from you, bet your family is glad to have you back.

Hey my friend, welcome home from the frozen tundra of the north countries. I see you are up to you old tricks of creating outstanding images or as some would say, making a purse out of a sow's ear. So nice to hear from you, bet your family is glad to have you back.

Hi Gordon:
Yes I've been home for a couple weeks now but will be heading back in a week or so for another go....

I'm finding the southern weather to hot anyway, so heading north will solve that problem.

No question Sharon has liked having me around again. But we can see the end now.... so now it is just get the next few trips done and then life can return to normal

Latest threads

Top Bottom