Testing for Bird Flu

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, May 25, 2007.

1. I went down to the beach this morning to try and get some shots of shore birds. While I was there, a group from the NJ Fish and Wildlife showed up to capture some gulls. There purpose was to net between 25-50 birds and sample their blood. They used a large net that is launched by a small explosive charge. The full sequence of my pictures can be found here.
    Enjoy :smile:

http://ed.smugmug.com/gallery/2902239

Here are a couple shots from that sequence

Setting the Net
    [​IMG]

Preparing to fire the charge
    [​IMG]

The Net is launched
    [​IMG]

Removing the birds from the net
    [​IMG]

Retrieving the birds
    [​IMG]

Preparing to take blood samples
    [​IMG]

2. You're not kidding us. They were just sick and tired of paying the high price for chicken at the store. *-) Interesting....very interesting.

3. Hey, they catch fish with nets, don't they. Seriously I am glad to see someone checking for disease LOL:smile:

4. Hi Ed and good post. We use this method to trap wintering eagles for satilite transmitter' s to be placed so migration can be followed. But last year and this year we did this same thing to a sampleing of 8 week old eaglets but not for Flu but Mercury and lead and a DNA series was started. (Done in the nest no nets)
    Tell me do you know if they found any infected birds and also I wonder if they do a lead and mercury test as you never know about the ocean any more. Being you are in N.J it would be nice to know if any were found and I would hope the NWF would have a news letter out on something like this.
    Any way good info
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  5. Hi Lou,
    Thanks for your comments. I don't know if they found anything. I didn't stay after they had the birds captured. The bugs were getting thick LOL. The only thing that I know is they were supporting people directly interested in Bird Flu. It was very interesting to watch them though. As far as I know they were going to move to tother beaches and repeat the procedure.:smile:

6. Thanks for showing this to us. Very interesting.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great series and great pic Ed
    You're really the NC PJ:>)))))

Thank You for the very interesting information

8. Hi,
    I am glad that you enjoyed it. :smile:

9. Hi Gale,
    I try. Thanks for your comments. It was very interesting watching these folks work with the birds.:smile: