Testing Lightsphere equipment

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by jjdesanto1, Oct 22, 2005.

1. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I've owned a Lightsphere II for about a year and have used it with great results. I just purchased a Lightsphere PJ and figured I'd test the two against each other. But, keeping in mind that some people think the Lightsphere stuff is pure hooey, I figured I'd expand the test to include the SB-800 without the Gary Fong attachments, just to see what happens.

Technical: All shots with D70 and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens at the 75mm mark in portrait (vertical) mode with SB-800 pointed and bounced off an 8-foot high white ceiling. All shots taken approximately 8 feet from subject at f4. I took exactly four shots - one each - with no attempt to make the portrait subject (my daughter) look "beautiful." Admittedly, this was a down and dirty attempt and certainly not scientific. Here are the results:

No Nikon diffusion dome attached.

Nikon diffusion dome attached

View attachment 17211

Lightsphere II attached (with dome)

View attachment 17212

Lightsphere PJ attached

View attachment 17213

2. I have the Lightsphere II but may go with the Lightsphere PJ as well. I hear that it attaches better and doesn't look quite so dorky while doing essentially the same job.

3. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Yup

You're right Gordon. It definitely grips the flash head much tighter. As for doing essentially the same job, I need to experiment more to see. My guess is that indoors they are similar. Outdoors, however, when the dome is on and directed directly at the subject, may be quite different.

4. John, thanks for the test. My PJ has arrived but I have no time to do any comparison test. Maybe I should try some shooting this week.

5. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Phil

I'd be interested in seeing the results of your tests too.

6. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    lightsphere

John,
    what mode are you setting the flash on? TTL, AA, M, etc?
    THANKS
    Debbie

7. John;

It's interesting that in the shot using the LSPJ there are two catchlights in each eye. Is this a function of the LS or is it that you are closer to the cute subject? Thanks for showing us the test.

8. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Debbie....

I shot those series in TTL mode on the SB-800. As I said, they were pretty hastily done so I just stayed basic.

9. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey, Brian...

Yeah, I noticed that too but I'm not really sure on how to explain it. I tried to stay at the same distance from my daughter while shooting this series. But she was - as usual - ansy to go play and didn't want to spend a lot of time posing. Obviously, further tests are required.