Testing new image hosting site.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Worley, Jun 12, 2005.

1. At the suggestion in Peter Bendheim's recent post, I went over to PhotoShare.co.nz and took advantage of their free trial offer to post a couple of images there.

I like the site, and find the menus a lot easier to deal with than at pbase. But this may be a personal problem. Unlike most, I'm virtually incapable of getting my images out of my in box at pbase. So, as many know, my inbox is where almost all of my images are. Dozens and dozens of 'em.

With the two following images, I've tried to do everything right to make them look good in jpeg at this resolution (convert to sRGB, sharpen specifically for web viewing, sizing at 800 px on the long side).

These particular images were taken at the Indian ruins I've mentioned before (I think). On the way back from Arches and Canyonlands two weeks ago we stopped here, about 40 miles west of Blanding, Utah. These just happen to be the easiest to reach of hundreds of ruins in the area and to have the most spectacular ceiling (rock overhang).

Both images taken within minutes of each other, at 10:46 and 10:49, local time. Relatively late morning times are necessary for the sun to get high enough to reflect into the ruins and onto the ceiling.

On my screen they look pretty good. Considering they're going from Arizona to New Zealand, then back to the U.S., then back to Arizona. Well-travelled stuff.

D2x, 12-24mm DX at 12mm, f/16 @ 1/30.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LOL! Yeah, they look pretty good even on my work PC w/ its lame display -- and w/ the image having to travel the extra distance across country to NYC. :lol:

BTW, I don't have any problems moving images around on pbase. However, I keep finding that the settings for my various galleries get reset to defaults that I don't want from time to time, eg. captions get turned off on mysteriously quite often for some galleries.

Anyway, love that first one. Great impression of a stone house ablazed in a hellish inferno. Even though the 2nd one is similar, I think the positioning of the three easily visible portals works better there for me than the two in the 2nd one. Also, I like how the bottom of the house in the 1st one is "framed" w/ the dip/jut downward near center vs the mere slant from end-to-end in the 2nd one -- it seems to enhance the drama of the imagery for me.

_Man_

3. Thank you for your very helpful comments! I prefer the first one, too, and I've liked how the corner comes down the way it does. Some have found the placement of the openings distracting, but I don't. And I'm glad you didn't either.

Kind regards,

Mike