1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Testing out HDR @ the marina

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by yourfriendjames, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I finally tried out my first HDR shot using CS3. I want to try Photomatix to see the difference as well. Anyone use both for HDR, and if so, what are your opinions of each? Thanks!

boats%20copy.

2. James, your photo just looks like a single, well-processed raw file. There's nothing "HDR" about it - not in the contemporary artistic sense, I mean. It's just a photo that utilizes full dynamic range, as all photos should.

I don't know anything about HDR, but I suspect this isn't a great photo for it. The good HDR stuff I've seen tends to have a darker sky.

3. yeah, i know what you mean. i was trying to get the sky to be more dramatic, so that is something i should work on. Thanks for the feedback though!

4. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    Looking at the picture an d knowing the limited dynamic range of digital cameras, you have to realize that for the sky to be properly exposed as well as the dock and boats something more must have been done. This is more what I imagine your eye and brain actually saw. I prefer HDR's of this style than the way over done ones.

5. giletti

giletti

Jan 12, 2008
    Victoria, BC
    I think it's a wonderful result.

Most people associate HDR with f..... up colors and tonality. Something that is easy to achieve and something I personally dislike. I think James balanced the foreground with the extremely bright sky very well and the photo looks right to me.

I completely agree with Leland / LAW2 on this one.

6. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Looks good James.

I believe all the info(range) is there, it's just your choice of subjects(not as dramatic as a blue sky with clouds).

7. Thanks everyone for the feedback; i really appreciate it.

I agree with damien that it would have been nice to make the sky a bit more dramatic, but im in the same boat as leland and martin in that i prefer HDR images that look "natural" and not overdone. Of course, this is my first attempt, so hopefully next time around i can make improvements. Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.