1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Testing out my new HID light's (Very Funny Must Read)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thrdprophet, Aug 16, 2008.

1. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    This just happened the other night, enjoy!

I did get to test my HID out last night. It is quite an interesting story to tell, but not the one I intended it to be!
    I mount my new light on my helmet. I leave the house around 10:30PM. There are plenty of lights around the neighborhood. I aim my new light all the way down, as far as I can, so it wouldn’t annoy anyone. I’m not going fast, just relaxing. Cruising. No biking gear; I am wearing my dress clothes with dress shoes. No fashion statement here. There is a big bright moon in the sky. I set out for a darker street without lights to test the light. I didn't get very far -- a few blocks -- before my wife calls to complain that the garage door opener is broken or jammed. Whatever. I head back to see what is going on. As I ride back, I think “My goodness, it is just too bright to have my light on!” So I turn off my new HID light.
    Amazingly, just after I turn off my light, I see the head lights of a on coming car. I am about to turn my light back on, but I don’t. I am thinking “Oh well.”
    The car happens to be a patrol car. City police. I'm surprised he is around the neighborhood. I think someone may have called complaining about a bike rider with super bright lights riding around.
    The cop flashes his lights at me, trying to blind me or something, and says (his exact words) "Hey buddy come over here right now" in a very rude manner.
    I approach the officer.
    He says "What do you think your doing?" again in a very rude manner.
    I reply "Riding my bike home."
    He says “Where do you live?”
    I say “Down the street…” pointing. Literally, I was a few houses from where I live.
    He says “Where are your bike lights?”
    I have a big light on top of my helmet, so I point to it.
    Yea it is kind of hard to notice a light on top of someone’s helmet, I’m sure.
    For good measure, I turn on the light for the cop.
    He says, “Where are your reflectors?”
    I say “Here, and here, and here.”
    I think he feels stupid by now, but he is still going on about biking at night.
    By now my HID is at its full 675 lumen brightness. I'm looking at the officer, my HID pointed straight at him. He's 2 or 3 feet away. He’s trying to talk, he moves out of the spotlight and every time he moves I move my head to make sure he knows I have a light. He does a great job of trying to look at me, but he lasts just a few seconds at a time before he has to look away. I can't see how someone looking at a beam of light like that for more than a few seconds could not be temporarily blinded. He finally lets me go. His partner stayed in the patrol car probably thinking this is very funny.
    When I get home, I tell my wife what had just happened. She laughs for a long time!
    She said “After you left, he probably ask his partner to drive for him!”

FYI here is the lights that I was using,

http://www.bikelights.com/Products/arc_li_ion.htm

2. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Only in Kalifornia would a cop pull over and harrass an adult bicyclist for not having lights and reflectors on his bicycle. :rolleyes: 

Sounds like you handled the situation pretty well though :biggrin:

3. Blinding a cop so he can't see, awesome idea...

4. A policeman's lot is not a happy one.
    W.S. Gilbert

Les

5. Those are some really bright lights. I tried them out at the bike store a couple weeks ago and was amazed.

6. great story
    where I live... the cop would have arrested your for torturing him with that light
    i'm really NOT kidding......
    that's how "cowboy" things can get around here

7. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Wasn't trying to blind the guy, he's the one that wanted to stare down at me on his high and mighty seat... I just wanted to make sure where I was in the dark.

Agree

Yes they are pretty bright, for some reason this night I somehow wished I had 1100 lumens...

Are you in the market for some lights?

Oh I believe it, just like the old saying goes

Absolute power corrupts Absolutely"

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I ride with the same light. It is allways funny when you try to talk to someone on the trail, they are allways say (hey watch the light.):biggrin:

9. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Turning the tables - giving the cop the third-degree! Of course, you want to make eye contact so you wouldn't look shifty. Maybe he should have asked you to turn it off while he was talking to you.

10. From a lawman's father, you were very lucky to get away with the light in the eyes thing, I assure you it is suppose to work the other way around, that officer was in a very defenseless situation. That said, that must be California for you, and my son would have been polite.

11. Good story. You would not have had that problem here in Miami. The cops are to Bessy drinking Cuban coffee to have stopped you.

12. Wow.....my Surefire M6 is 500 Lumens....now that makes your story even funnier. :wink:

Now I have ragged on people for some strange stuff, but nothing like that. That guy must've just had a bad day..you handled it well :biggrin:

13. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Very not funny.

I also live in San Diego. And I am aware that the police here are way out-of-line* and need to be made accountable for their appalling behavior. Sheesh, I used to work for the cops in Sacramento. I'm appalled that here in San Diego I'm more afraid of the cops than of the bad guys.

But ...

You were either dangerously over-lighted or dangerously under-lighted (depending whether your lights were on or off). Yeah, the cops here are obnoxious jerks. But that doesn't give you license to do obnoxious stuff back to them.

So, sorry, you get no sympathy from me. If it's any comfort, neither does the San Diego cop get any sympathy from me.

*I'm talking life-threatening out-of-line cops here. We have a serious problem!

14. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA

Actually, it does. Everyone does. There is nothing anywhere that dictates police officers must be extended any respect, at any time, from any civilian. Quite the opposite in fact. They are public servants, and if they are not doing their job, providing service to the public, then it's yours (and mine, and everyone elses) job to remind them exactly what their job is AND what the pecking order is. They are sworn to uphold the laws, the Consititution, and to protect the RIGHTS of civilians. Making no specific referance to OP, it is not only our RIGHT, but our DUTY to remind them when they fail to do their job, no matter if they like it or not.

They work FOR us, remember that, always. Any other way and they stop being a protector and start becoming a ruling class.

I do appreciate your honesty about the police force in question, it sounds like they more than many others need the constant reminder that they are not above a civilian in any respect. In many regards police in fact have LESS rights than civilians.

15. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Could not have said it any better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.