Review Testing out Topaz Denoise

I'm waiting for DXO Lab to catch up with Nikon D6 files so that I can use DXO prime on my NEF files. In the meantime I've downloaded Topaz DeNoise application to see how it handles the D6 RAW files.

Jay denoisedAI 7953.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks pretty good to me. What do you see?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Glad you gave it a try! There are several different settings as I'm sure you have found. I end up trying several of them before picking the best one for the image I'm working on. Their newest version is a good improvement.

The feathers on the birds back are nice and sharp. Hard to tell at this size if there is any blurring of details....but if you are happy with the results viewed at 100%, then you are good to go!

Glad you gave it a try! There are several different settings as I'm sure you have found. I end up trying several of them before picking the best one for the image I'm working on. Their newest version is a good improvement.

The feathers on the birds back are nice and sharp. Hard to tell at this size if there is any blurring of details....but if you are happy with the results viewed at 100%, then you are good to go!
I like the final result. The different settings are definitely part of a learning curve! So this was a "maybe I should try this setting" processing. At 100% on my monitor it looks sharp.

Hi Bohdan, I like your shot and am trying to tell what improvement you made to it (I don't think the original is visible?).

Can you do a screenshot in Sharpen to show the treatment at 100%?

Also, what Mode did you use? Sometimes AI Clear works best, sometimes DeNoise (as in the case of a shot of the Moon I edited this morning).

On your lo-res I also tried a levels adjustment on my own system as it seemed just slightly flat, but that's off topic...

Hi Bohdan, I like your shot and am trying to tell what improvement you made to it (I don't think the original is visible?).

Can you do a screenshot in Sharpen to show the treatment at 100%?

Also, what Mode did you use? Sometimes AI Clear works best, sometimes DeNoise (as in the case of a shot of the Moon I edited this morning).

On your lo-res I also tried a levels adjustment on my own system as it seemed just slightly flat, but that's off topic...
Hi there..thanks for the reply. Not sure how to get a screenshot in Sharpen to show treatment, as I closed down denoise after I processed the photo. I recall thought that I used Al Clear on medium setting, along with some detail recovery. Yes the photo is slightly flat, lighting was flat, and dark giving the 7200 iso. Hope this helps.

Bob - I think that your image of the Blue Jay looks fine but it's hard to tell what DeNoise did without seeing the original. Based on my experience using DeNoise, I think it works quite well with NEF files to remove noise while maintaining the sharpness of the subject. For anyone who is interested, here are highly cropped before and after images that should show the difference that applying DeNoise can make. The original image was a NEF taken with a D810. DeNoise was used as a plug-in to Lightroom. I just used DeNoise AI with the automatic settings. Sometime I'll move the sliders around a bit but I thought this one turned out fine without making any further adjustments.

NEF export to JPEG with LR (1 of 1).jpg
DeNoise Tiff export to JPEG with LR (1 of 1).jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom