Testing the 2X TC III

I have been putting the new Nikon 2x TC III to some tests. Below are two shots that I came up with. Images are pretty sharp. Without ever using the TC II, I am unable to compare or tell you if it is worth the upgrade. But a photographer friend of mine said that you will get a much better results if you manual focus with the F4 lens. Auto focus still works with the 600mm VR. I will try it on the 400mm 2.8 sometimes soon.

5573350452_4006c1a176_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great Horned Owlet, near sunset, low light. Shot with the new 2X TCIII. ISO3200, No NR!!!

Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 1200 mm
ISO Speed 3200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected

5573378520_d67da141a8_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Look at the neck, it is twisted! Been testing the Nikon 2x TCIII. Shot taken with 600 VR, auto focus, images were pretty sharp!

Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 1200 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias +1/3 EV
Flash No Flash

I think they look great too Troy. The owlet shot is deceiving because their feathers at that stage are so soft and are hard to get much detail out of, not to mention the low light. Your second shot looks better to my eye. Manual focus is indeed better when you need to nail focus on a subject that won't allow you to use your outer AF sensors. With the 2x on...only your center points will work with AF, your outer ones will hunt (on f/4 glass).

So, if your subject is a smaller bird, like a Cardinal or something...if its close, you would only be able to put the AF reticle in the middle somewhere. However, if you move your AF reticle up to the eye and then manual focus...you will nail it.

Using this combo requires some fore thought in your settings as your DOF is drastically smaller. No matter what you do, if your close, your going to have issues with subjects and your very limited DOF. When they are square to the sensor, your golden, if they are not, you will quickly see how narrow that plane of focus is!

What I LOVE about shooting with this combo is the compression you get. Nothing renders backgrounds and compresses the scene like using a 2x. Its a wonderful tool, that I don't often use (only because I can get closer most of the time) but when its needed, I don't hesitate to use my copy, which is the version II.

Keep playing with it, I am sure the results will be faster with your 400VR, it will react much nicer with it. Keep shooting with it and post your results. Need more guys posting actual field results with this combo showing it will indeed deliver the goods vs. all the folks who read stuff on the web and think that any NIkon 2x tc is junk. That is a debate I love to jump into all the time, but then there are always the nay sayers who won't be satisfied no matter what. Great job with these...thanks for sharing.

I think they look great too Troy. The owlet shot is deceiving because their feathers at that stage are so soft and are hard to get much detail out of, not to mention the low light. Your second shot looks better to my eye. Manual focus is indeed better when you need to nail focus on a subject that won't allow you to use your outer AF sensors. With the 2x on...only your center points will work with AF, your outer ones will hunt (on f/4 glass).

So, if your subject is a smaller bird, like a Cardinal or something...if its close, you would only be able to put the AF reticle in the middle somewhere. However, if you move your AF reticle up to the eye and then manual focus...you will nail it.

Using this combo requires some fore thought in your settings as your DOF is drastically smaller. No matter what you do, if your close, your going to have issues with subjects and your very limited DOF. When they are square to the sensor, your golden, if they are not, you will quickly see how narrow that plane of focus is!

What I LOVE about shooting with this combo is the compression you get. Nothing renders backgrounds and compresses the scene like using a 2x. Its a wonderful tool, that I don't often use (only because I can get closer most of the time) but when its needed, I don't hesitate to use my copy, which is the version II.

Keep playing with it, I am sure the results will be faster with your 400VR, it will react much nicer with it. Keep shooting with it and post your results. Need more guys posting actual field results with this combo showing it will indeed deliver the goods vs. all the folks who read stuff on the web and think that any NIkon 2x tc is junk. That is a debate I love to jump into all the time, but then there are always the nay sayers who won't be satisfied no matter what. Great job with these...thanks for sharing.

Jason, I will post more as I use it more often and also with the 400mm.
Agree with your points. I am sure a lot of times it is the user error :)
Did you get the flash cable yet?

Great shots Troy. I had to look at the anhinga for a moment to figure out what it was doing with its neck.

Jason, I will post more as I use it more often and also with the 400mm.
Agree with your points. I am sure a lot of times it is the user error :)
Did you get the flash cable yet?

Troy, its coming tomorrow...along with a few extra portable hard drives, and a new Epson wide format printer and a Wimberley Flash bracket! Christmas all over again:biggrin:

Troy, its coming tomorrow...along with a few extra portable hard drives, and a new Epson wide format printer and a Wimberley Flash bracket! Christmas all over again:biggrin:

hahaha.....you deserve it. I just got myself the 300mm 2.8.
It was a Christmas for me too. Now I got to get something for my birthday soon LOL :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom