Testing the Better Beamer on some KFishers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Mar 25, 2007.

1. When it stops raining around here for just a few minuties everyone heads off to their favorite spot. So this morning Sunday, although it's wasn't quite sunny at least it wasn't raining, so I decided to do some testing with the BB on all of my shots today.
    I shot with my D2X, 500mm & TC1.4 and the BB. Went to one of the favorites spots for seeing some Kingfishers and sure enough they were there and surprisingly not too spooky. Met up with Jim Theil, Bill Dewey and his wife Nancy later in the afternoon for some shooting at another location but not much going on there. So anyway, here are a few of what I came away with today. Not exactly sure I had the BB dialled in, but I think most of the shots probably came out better than if I had not used it.

original.

View attachment 87008

original.

View attachment 87010

View attachment 87011

original.

original.

Louie

2. Your results are fantastic! The BB did its job and brought out the details in the feathers and shadows. Good work Louie!

3. WOW excellent tack sharp and you cant even tell they are flashed I think the beamer and flash has a great place for wildlife photography if not to help stop the action but to eliminate some shadows

4. Louie you did a great job on them. I have used the BB on a pileated at about 100 feet and it worked good on cloudy days. I found they recomend you set the focal length at 50mm when useing the BB no matter what lens you use. I was shooting a pileated this morning with it and I used the P mode on my Canon 1DM2N and the 500/4IS + a 1.4 and it worked great. I would say what ever you did for these photos keep doing it as they are beautiful.
    Lou

5. WOW, That really brings out the detail in some rather difficult areas

6. WOWWW, those are fantastic. That Beamer works well! Those are incredible shots of the Devil Bird :biggrin:. A wonderful series, Louis, thanks so much for sharing!

7. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    That first kingfisher is off the charts. Wow!

8. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    OK whats a BB

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow thoes are marvelous images...

Devil Bird....hummmmmmm grrrrrrrrr

10. Nice shots Louie. And good use of the beamer. I'm still learing with it. How'd you get the KF to stay still so long????

11. Better Beamer flash extender.

12. Are you giving lessons? I have a BB just arrived! Beautiful photos BTW

13. Thanks Dianne, I wish I were some sort of expert but unfortunately not, but thanks away. I think Mike Mac is the guy that knows the BB. I was just dertermined that I was going to shoot with it today and try to get better at it. I think there are some general rules but it's just practice in all sorts of situations.

Louie

14. EXCELLENT! THEY LOOK GREAT YOU CAN'T TELL THEY ARE FLASHED AT ALL!!!

(caps lock is now off :))

15. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Excellent captures Louis. Can you tell us in detail what the flash settings used on the SB800? Rear sync etc?

BTW, I noticed that you're shooting with the HSC mode which would be like shooting from a 931mm lens !

16. Louie what can I say but, well, :910: VERY jealous with your devil bird, the KF. Well done!

Nancy

17. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    Thanks David thats just what I need here in gray WA State

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, all I can say is WOW!! These are sweet Louie. :smile:

19. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Great KF shots with the BB. The fact that they don't look flashed shows how good they are. Did you have the BB dialled down 1.5-1.7EV? If you could share your settings (camera/flash) it would be appreciated. Thanks.

20. Cool very nice.

Phillip.