Testing the D200 with the Big Gun (500mm+TC14)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Went out to Bathtub Reef this morning only to discover I'd missed low tide by well over an hour, and it was apparently starting to come back in! Normally, during the low tide, with the reef above water, there'd be many more wading/shore birds to shoot.
    Well, in very good light, actually a cloudless day, I'm happy to say the D200 with the 500 f4+TC14 mounted got a focus lock very quickly. This is with a max aperture of 5.6. Now, if I had used better long lens/panning technique, I'd show you some others like some Gulls, Pelis, Atlantic Terns, and a GWE, GBH, and a Frigate bird, but I'll just show these, thank you very much. :redface:
    original.

original.

original.

2. VERY nice Steve, you got to be happy with that combo.
    Dave

3. Looks good to me!! Nice job!

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I'm trying to pare off some weight, and a lighter cam, along with the new lighter wimberley, and the removal of the Levvelign head is the next thing in line. Even if I only have to carry the rig a couple 100 ft like today, I gotta lighten the load man!
    PS, a 1 yr old, old style Wimberley head & Gitzo Leveling base going up for sale as soon as I can get a new style unit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  5. Nice shots Steve. I am so jealous of you guys who can afford the big glass. Certainly offers a big advantage. The 500 f4 was the lens I wanted in the past, as I felt it was a bit more managable than the 600 f4. What is the minimum focus distance with the 500 f4? Is it an afs lens? I have actually been looking at the 400 f2.8 afs (not that I can ever afford one), as it has a decent minimum focus distance.

I gotta start buying those lottery tickets.

t

6. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very beautiful shots.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Luscious shots Steve. :smile:

8. Very nice pics, Steve, and I envy you the weather too!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Steve :>)))))

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, Steve! That combo sure looks like a great one!

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

If you ever wonder about getting SHARP tele shots

take a look at this recently acquired test shot with D200. The distance to the subject is no less than 3250 m. Taken with my 1200 mm f/11 Nikkor "wide open" at 400 ISO equivalency, 1/4 sec.

First, the entire frame,

[​IMG]

(smokestacks from a factory put, for some inscrutable reasoning, in the middle of a nature reserve :mad: ).

Sharpness can be assessed from a 100% crop,

[​IMG]

Still not convinced? Take a look at 200%,

[​IMG]

Do remember: from the camera to the subject the distance is 3 km 250 m. I think it's pretty obvious that D200 can resolve fine detail?

12. Nice, series, Steve. It looks like that D200 is plenty sharp. Bjorn's shot only confirms it. I'm thinking that a D200 would make a great 2nd body to complement my D2H. I'd get added pixels for landscapes and cropping of wildlife as well as better high iso performance at a very reasonable cost.

13. Very nice indeed, Steve. Looks like this combo is working out well for you. Look forward to seeing more.

louie

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone, and

Tim, this lens was the newest AFS II version. Not sure what the min focus distance is, but it's not bad @ maybe 8 ft? And Bjorn, how in the heck do you do it? You shoot from that really tremendous distance, and still manage to get them so shake free? Amazing. I was shooting from rather loose sand down by the water's edge, and whenever I had to move around the pod to pan a flying object, I'd get all tripped up!

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I have a good tripod, and a matching head to go with it :biggrin: No secrets of the trade involved, really.

It's difficult to estimate ground distances by eye since this is across an open and wide delta (which constitutes the nature reserve, by the way) and I thought the factory was only 2 km away, until I measured on a detailed map with a ruler and found my estimate was way too low.