Teton Canyon

The "Idaho" side of the Tetons is the lesser known side. The mountains are technically in Wyoming, but to get there you are mostly in Idaho. To get to this canyon, you drive to Driggs, Idaho. Then take a road toward the mountains, most of which is a dirt road. The dirt road is closed in the winter and they keep it groomed for recreation. We went there yesterday as it was a beautifully clear day and we knew that the mountains would be visible. It was our first winter trip there, but it won't be our last. The snow was so packed down that we didn't even need our snowshoes, we just walked a few miles in our boots.

#1 The trailhead

DSC_4695.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 View from the trail
DSC_4697-Edit.jpg

#3 The Grand Teton with Table Rock Mountain in front of it. When I was young I loved to hike to the top of table mountain. Sadly, it's too strenuous for me now.
DSC_4703-Edit.jpg

#4 Skier
DSC_4707.jpg

#5 Skier
DSC_4709.jpg

#6 Several people we saw were towing sleds which held their gear. Many had been ice climbing. We will have to find the ice climbers in action next time.

DSC_4710.jpg

#7 I don't know what this mountain is called, but I think it is so pretty. We will be camping at the base of it in June.

DSC_4731.jpg

#8 and 9 I think the "Idaho" side of the Tetons is beautiful, too.

DSC_4739.jpg

DSC_4755.jpg

#10 Dusk from a viewpoint on our way home.

DSC_4791.jpg

Real Name
Ken St John
Simply gorgeous images, Terri!! Although I stopped doing "winter" some years back (choosing rain or staying indoors instead)... these make me really miss the "good old days"!!

Well done!!

Ken

Real Name
Dan
Nice set, Terri. I have to say the view of the peaks in that last shot is just as lovely as the iconic views from the other side. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Such a wonderful set. It makes me want to move to the area.

Except being cold.
I am probably tainting your opinion with only the positive. The cold and wind are big downers. I am only sharing photos from nice days, not when it is below zero. But I have been trying hard to enjoy winter this year. There is enough other stress in the world to let winter get me down, too!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom