Teton Park Fun (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    This spot was on a hill called Lunch Box hill. It was right there at the Lodge where we were staying, so we thought it would be a nice place to take some sunrise shots. It was only 22 degrees F, so I was absolutely frozen when we finished. I needed my heavy winter clothes there.

The sign at this location says that this was John D. Rockefeller's favorite spot to sit in the park. (For those of you who don't know, he was instrumental in buying up the private land there and turning it into a national park.)

Did I do too much with the post processing? No one said much about my sunset shot in Teton Fun (part 3), so I'm assuming I sort of bombed out with the post processing on that one. I would love feedback as to what I can do better either in taking the shots or post processing. I hope to get back to the park to take more next weekend.

original.

2. Terri,

These are awesome shots. Keep them coming.

3. Looks great to me Terri!

4. Looks great to me too. I envy you for these sights (though not for the time of day you must have got up to see them :redface:)

5. Fantastic Terri !

I love this shot and am amazed at the light you have on the peaks, I'm not sure how much of this is PP, but either way its superb !

Any chance of seeing your original ?

6. Terri, this one is beautiful. Did you take two exposures and combine as you sometimes do?

I first saw the Tetons in June of 1983 with my wife and children. Your pictures are resurrecting fond memories.

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Terri, this is a wonderful photo – great content, great composition, and beautiful color.

It has been a long time since I last experienced the range and scale of light differences that are possible in a mountain scene like this, so my only suggestion might be totally off base. However, I think the image might benefit from a gentle increase in brightness of the daisies (yellow only). This has the effect of solidifying the foreground/middle/background composition, and it adds to the overall balance of the image. It’s a subtle effect, but, for me, it unifies the image.

Oh, and thanks again for sharing the Tetons with us.

8. That's a beautiful sunrise Terri. We intended to climb up Lunch Tree Hill, but forgot to do it. Oh well, next time.

Looking at these photos makes me wish I was still there. I'm in Charlotte, NC this week on business. It's nice, but it isn't the Tetons!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  9. Wow! That is a terrific image Terri, as are the others in the series. You must feel very rewarded for your efforts, including getting up real early and braving the elements. Kudos!

I have yet to visit this part of the country... so I am a bit jealous of your scenery there! :smile:

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Glad you enjoyed it. I do have a few more to work on.....:biggrin:

Thanks, Vern.

It's not too hard for me to get up early. As an OLD grandma now, I have a tendency to wake up early every day anyway. Seriously, when I get up in time to see the sunrise, it is such a neat experience that I'm always glad I did.

The light was beautiful like that on the peaks. My computer with the original is not turned on right now but I'll try to remember to post it here later. If I forget send me a PM to remind me!

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Isn't it great when photos bring back wonderful memories. As for this one, it is only one exposure. I did bracket when I shot the scene, but this photo wasn't blown out on either end of the spectrum, so I was able to use it.

Thanks, I do like your suggestion and will work on the photo a bit more before I print it.

Greg told me it was called lunchbox hill.....Hmmmm I guess we need our glasses. It is a pretty view from up there. If the weather here improves we are going to go back on Saturday and hike the Taggart Lake/Bradley Lake loop.

Philippe,
    If you ever come here, Greg and I will be happy to give you a tour. We are trying to find new things to see every time we go, and we are not disappointed.

12. Wow... this is a stunning image. I missed some in this series, so I'll go back and find them. But this one looks great... wish it had come out of my printer!!

13. Your post processing is excellent Terri and this is a beautiful shot.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I have been following this series at pbase and you know how I feel :)

Hope you have a wonderful and rewarding summer Terri !

Regards

Robert

15. Humanoid

Humanoid

Apr 24, 2006
    Beautiful image Terri and love your collection on Pbase! The only thing I might suggest is the use of fill flash in order to make the flowers pop a little more, but the image is stunning regardless.

16. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Hey Terri,

Can you tell me where Lunch Box Hill is?

James

17. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks David. I've got to get it printed and see how it turns out.

Thanks, Gordon

Thanks Robert. You are always so kind. I appreciate your encouragement so much. I do feel that I am always improving. It keeps me striving to learn more.

Thanks so much. I'm glad you enjoyed my pbase album.

My husband told me that it is Lunch Box Tree Hill. So now I am not exactly sure of the name. Anyway, you go out onto the patio at the Jackson Lake lodge and go to the right. It starts right there at the patio.