Texas Wildflower Season is starting...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JeffKohn, Mar 26, 2007.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    So I've been checking the wildflower reports for the area and it sounded like things were finally starting to take off even though the peak is probably a few weeks away still. So I headed out to Washington County to have a look for myself yesterday. The skies were heavy overcast, no way I was going to get any decent landscape shots so I mostly just scouted locations that I might want to return to in better conditions. Looks like this year's bloom will be pretty good, definately better than last years.

I did get a few close-up shots that I was relatively happy with. As always comments/critiques welcome.

2. Nice pics, Jeff. I like especially the 3rd one!

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Sabina.

4. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Very nice photo's. Number3 for me as well.

Best regards
    Andy

5. YUP! Me too, #3. Nice work.

6. Ahhhhh, yes, I needed these - glorious spring flowers. #3 really grabs me.

7. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    well let me be the 1st to say.. #1 is my fav... the others are nice..

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Andy, Tom, and Sandi - thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Definitely seems to be a consensus forming around shot #3.

Tim - Thanks. I like the first one too, the subject isolation is what works for me in that one.

9. Beautiful! I guess I should head down somewhere like that! Which lens did you use?

10. Jeff,
    Great shots. I really like 1 and 3. 1 for the isolation and DOF. What makes 3 special is the background, new life against the decaying building, all in focus makes for a great shot.
    Rich

11. Those are all great shots... 2 is my favorite.... I am ready for spring.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Dianne - Thanks. The first was shot with the 200-400vr + extension tube. The second was with the 70-200vr + extension tube, and the last was just the 70-200vr. If you click on any of the images it will take you to the gallery page with full EXIF info. BTW the wildflowers in Washington/Austin Counties should be peaking in the next week or two.

Rich/Pat and jryoung1947 - thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the kind words.

13. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    A wonderful series, but the first one is my favorite... Beautiful :Love:

14. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the kind words, Roosje. I appreciate the feedback.

15. Tiarra

Tiarra Guest

Beautiful! Love the dof in the first one.

16. I like #2 the best, love the strength of all that red! :smile:

17. Very nice work Jeff. I really find the first image to be exquisite but all three are very well done.

18. rubendparra

rubendparra Guest

nice series of pictures , i think #2 has the reds overexposed.

thanks for sharing!

19. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Tiarra, Gretchen and Dave - Thanks for looking and commented, I appreciate it.

Ruben - Thanks. The original exposure didn't have any clipping, but I went back and checked my PSD (which is 16-bit ProPhoto), and soft-proofing shows that the image definitely exceeds the gamut of sRGB. So I probably should have desaturated a bit before converting for the web. Amazingly, the PSD is within the gamut of my printer, so now I'm going to have to see what it looks like as a print.