Texas Wildlife

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Hi, I'm just back from a holiday in Rio Grande Valley area of Texas. It was mainly a birding trip and I will post some bird pictures later but I thought I would start with some butterflies - now this might not be the right forum but as I used a 80-400 VR Nikkor on my D1H for all the pictures (hand held BTW) I do not think they fit into Flowers/Macro forum either.

Anyway while my wife and I are not bad at naming bird species we have no idea when it comes butterflies even when the said insect tried to help:-

So if anyone could confirm what the following are it would be a great help

2. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    :biggrin: That first shot is great.

I think the second one is a Viceroy, isn't it? That's about the limit of my entomological expertise, unfortunately.

3. Dave, nice shots. Wow! You were in my neck of the woods. Well a little south of me. I did not know we had so many types of butterflies here. Anyway, I am sure someone will chime in here and identify them for you.

How did the birding shoots go?

4. These are great Dave and that is an interesting approach to wildlife id. Cant wait to see a bird on a book :^)
    Dave

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wonderful shots, Dave! Glad you enjoyed your trip to our part of the world. Sorry that I can't help with the butterfly IDs, I'm much better at birds.

6. Well, I'm not sure about the first one although I think it's a Viceroy, but all the rest look like butterflies to me... :rolleyes: LOL!

Nice shots! One of my nicest butterfly shots was with that same lens.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent BF shots Dave. The 80-400VR is certainly a versatile lens. Can't help with the ID's though. :rolleyes:

8. How about this one, actually I know what the bird is but what's the fish :biggrin: ?

It's not that good a picture, I don't seem to be able to get these flight shots really sharp. I know a bad workman does not blame his tools but I wonder if my D1H/80-400 VR combo is up to it. Exposure was 1/1000 at f6.3 with VR so it is not camera shake and I was using continuous-servo/Dynamic area AF. Any ideas?

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Can't ID em for you but
    I sure know I like each one :wink:

Great DOF and backgrounds, some almost look 3D !!

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well I'm pretty sure it's a headless catfish
    :biggrin: :biggrin:

11. I noticed that the Ospreys all seem to eat the fishes head first - must be some sort of delicacy:confused:

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

You are correct ........ that is a common trait amongst these raptors.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

Your Osprey shot is actually pretty good. You said that you had the VR on, right? Does that mean that you were hand holding? If so, it could be a combination of the VR 'searching' a little, and the AF not locking on precisely due to movement of the cam / lens while panning, and throw in a little camera vibration when the shutter fires. I can't imagine trying to get rock solid flight shots at 400mm without a tripod. They just never seem quite as sharp to me. It doesn't take much at that magnification to soften the shot. With a tripod, you can dampen everything so much better. Even with a tripod, I get a few shots that are inexplicably soft shooting at 420mm with the 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC.

All that said, it's still a pretty good shot. :smile:

14. Thanks for the compliment. It was hand held but I was on a small boat at the time so I'm not sure a tripod would have helped:confused: .

15. Cool butterfly shots! Love the first one on the book. As for the fish id, the best I could come up with was "Dead". :rolleyes:

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots! Every time I think about getting rid of my 80-400VR I see your photos and decide to keep it!

17. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Dave
    #4 is most probably a Princeps ophidicephalus, a swallowtail, could be an emperor, but I'm not sure we have the same species, but it is a pointer.
    # 2&7 look at the monarch spesies
    #1 - look at Belenois species
    Love the first one, a unique shot.
    I also shot leps with the 80-400 or even with the 120-300 plus 2x, and it works well. Nice set of pics, TFS

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gee Dave, Let's see, you were in a boat, shot hand held, at 400mm, of an Osprey in flight (not the slowest bird around), and you are embarrassed that it's a little on the soft side?!?? :biggrin:

I'd say you did a fairly decent job. :wink:

19. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Unsure what the rather beaten up butterfly on the book is (perhaps some type of Fritillary?). The 2nd is a Monarch, 3rd perhaps a Gulf Fritillary (but unsure), 4th is a Giant Swallowtail, 5th perhaps a Queen (Danaus), and the last is perhaps a Gulf Fritillary. At least these should get you close. Others hopefully will correct me.

20. Callie & Jerry: Thanks for the idents on the butterflies that is really useful, I do like to know what it is I have taken pictures of.

Frank: I suppose I am a bit of a perfectionist - I see the great sharp flight shots some people produce and assume if I don't get the same result I'm doing it all wrong :biggrin: I'll keep trying.