Thai Beauty...Strobist style

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Ray C., May 19, 2007.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Single SB-800 in brolly box at camera left, approx three feet from subject. Triggered via D70 in commander mode.

[​IMG]

2. What is a brollie box?
    I use a soft box and umbrellas....

3. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Nice shot Ray, your brollie box is working for you. Lovely model.

5. Very nice Ray.

6. Very nice, Ray! Using ambient for fill makes the rig for outdoor strobist work pretty simple... one flash, one stand, and a modifier. How did you approach setting the ration between fain and fill? You got it just right!

7. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    \

Thanks Gordon, I really like the quality of light from the brollies and often prefer them over my umbrellas. She is a beauty, eh? There's definitely not a shortage of gorgeous women over here. :biggrin: This particular young lady is my nephew's girlfriend and she is VERY shy and reserved in front of the camera, but I did manage to get a few decent shots, and I'll post a couple of more in the People forum later.

Thanks again!

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Many thanks Roy!

9. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks Frank, I appreciate it.

When balancing flash with ambient, I use 1.5 to 2 stops under for the ambient to start and have the brolly very close to the subject for the softest light. Then I just use the Dave Black approach of "take a shot, take a look," on the LCD and adjust flash ouput/distance from there.

10. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Great lighting Ray.

11. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thank you Josh.

12. Very nice! How far away is your subject from the background?

13. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks Tony. The BG is approx. 8-10 feet away, shot with a 70-200 at 125mm.