Thank you, cafe members!!

Certainly I agree with the sentiments expressed above. My wife and I have no interest in FaceBook and have never joined even though we know we are missing quite a bit of family interaction.

I would like to point out to Paul (pdk42) that while we all greatly appreciate Amin's ownership and administration of the forum, it has been like this from the beginning (2005) through three owners. It's mainly the kindred spirit and attitudes of the members that keep it so enjoyable to visit.

I completely agree with Jim ..... I have been a member here since 2006 (I think) and although I do not post much (since I am completely out of photography for health reasons) I am routinely logged in on the Cafe and actively read and enjoy most of the what people post here or have to say here. All in all the nicest group of people I get to interact with.

I've stayed on FB mainly to keep in touch with a couple of old college buddies (one of whom I taught to process B&W and has gone to to easily surpass me in skill). But I've 'unfriended' more than I've friended.

Thanks Terri, your comment was right on. As a founding member, former moderator and administrator, I want to thank all those faithful members who have contributed to the atmosphere at the Nikon Café and have maintained it as a family oriented site where friendship is as important as the excellent photography. I remember when we went through one rough patch but with the help of the owner and the majority of the members we pulled through. Best wishes to all of you here at the Cafe. This is a great place to spend your time.

Thanks Terri, your comment was right on. As a founding member, former moderator and administrator, I want to thank all those faithful members who have contributed to the atmosphere at the Nikon Café and have maintained it as a family oriented site where friendship is as important as the excellent photography. I remember when we went through one rough patch but with the help of the owner and the majority of the members we pulled through. Best wishes to all of you here at the Cafe. This is a great place to spend your time.
You taught me so much in the early days when I was a new photographer. I am grateful.

I just started watching an interview with legendary, Pulitzer Prize-winner John White on Nikon's Creator’s Hour, and he said something that really, really applies to us here at the Café, "Enjoy the light; don't curse the darkness"

He was referring to life under COVID-19, but I think it is appropriate for all of life!

Last edited:
Real Name
Rodney
A couple of years ago I became a high school teacher in the school's arts academy. I had to drop my sons' friends who followed my photography of their sports events because it wasn't proper for teachers to have FB friends who were students. I also now have to be REALLY careful what I post so as to not anger parents and future parents of students. If it were not for family far away, I'd not use FB at all, you just can't hang your opinions out there anymore without running the chance of a flaming post war or getting a call from HR. Very sad it has come to this.
If you lock down your profile to friends only, and then don't have any parents as friends, you should be ok.

This place is the best. Photography with pleasant camaraderie.

Life is too short to not “unfriend” on FB. Why do all those people think I need to hear their political opinions?
Political opinions are one thing. Posting what they had for lunch is just a bit too much sharing . . . or . . I have one friend who posts a picture every time he braids his wife's hair and it's like . . umm ok, unfollow that!

Real Name
Paul
Certainly I agree with the sentiments expressed above. My wife and I have no interest in FaceBook and have never joined even though we know we are missing quite a bit of family interaction.

I would like to point out to Paul (pdk42) that while we all greatly appreciate Amin's ownership and administration of the forum, it has been like this from the beginning (2005) through three owners. It's mainly the kindred spirit and attitudes of the members that keep it so enjoyable to visit.
Thanks for pointing that out Rick. I had no idea of the history of the site and just assumed it was an Amin creation, like mu43. I stand corrected!!

I've found that the Nikon Cafe is a safe haven to discuss photography without and rancor of other sites. In addition, over the years I have gotten to see so many great pictures from talented photographers who post on this site. I think that Amin has carried on the tradition of the Nikon Cafe with his ownership and administration of the site and I really appreciate it and am a paying member. While I can't predict the future, I plan on being a member as long as I can.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
FB and Whatsapp are necessary tools for me as I have family and friends across six continents and that's how we're able to stay in touch with each other. On FB, I have connections with people whose friendship with me began, quite literally, in the proverbial cradle. It's also a place where I obtain information regarding travel, plant based recipes, my alma mater and church matters. My settings on FB are very limited and I only accept connections if I know you, or if you are recommended from really good friends (my travel photos are on FB and I sometimes get requests to see them). That said, I have one hard and fast rule regarding FB - no politics on my page whatsoever...period.

Now, regarding the Cafe. I found this place 12 years ago, and instantly felt comfortable. There's no drama (well...there was that one incident back in the day... :confused:), and I felt very safe here and still do. It took me a minute or two to start posting as I was a shy one, but the folks here are some the kindest, most generous people I have had the privilege of knowing. No question is a dumb one (and trust, I've posted my share of dumb questions), and I have learned so much in the time I've been here.

Once my photographic slump is over (and I get my new gear), I'll be posting more photos. In the meantime, I enjoy the superior images that I see here on a daily basis, and I truly appreciate each and every one of you.

I am not sure if its just me, but I notice more and more lack of good manners in the past number of years. It does not matter if it is work related, social media, or forums. Others will ask a question, or a question gets asked of me, I take the time to respond and there is no acknowledgement from the person asking the question. This forum unfortunately, is no different.

Even when out and about I am noticing it more and more.

I remember when I was younger and older people, including my parents used to make comments about the way the world was changing, and they were glad they were not going to be around for a lot longer to have to deal with it. I now have these same thoughts.

It is not that hard to show some manners, but apparently it is for some.

But getting back to Terri’s great post, I must agree this is a great place to discuss so many things, including photography.

What I find interesting and I will certainly admit that I've been guilty of this myself, is that people may look at someone's thread and/or images and then move on without commenting one way or another, often even when the "Critique" tag is part of the thread title. Sometimes viewers take advantage of shortcuts such as using a "like" button, but not always -- more often, not -- with the upshot of this then leaving the person who created the thread and images to wonder if they were so bad or so boring and uninteresting that no one or very few people wanted to say anything.....

Latest threads

Top Bottom