Thank You FLEW MAN!!!!

LET THERE BE LIGHT!! Thanks FLEW for letting me borrow your SB800 external flash over the weekend. I am now excited about taking pictures indoor under low light conditions. I fastened the SB800 to my D70 right when I got home and took some pictures of my cat Nermal Blue. Here is a before and after shot.

WITH THE BUILT IN FLASH.....RIGHT AT 'CHA

16489769-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WITH THE SB800 POINTED AT AN UPWARD ANGLE

16489768-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bryan,

Wow!! Big difference. Which is a truer representation of his color?

Frank

BIG 'OL NERMAL

'Ol Nermal's (named after Garfield the cat's cousin) truest color is grey, but when the light hits him just right he looks like a Russian Blue cat. Kinda has a blue tint to him. That will be a personal challenge of mine to get a picture of that blue.

The 800 should have a white card with writing (guide info) on the back (white surface in front) that is recessed at the back edge of the flash top. If you have not found/used it before, pull it up when using flash tilted. That will throw light out as well as up. Card can be used part way up or all the way out and it helps to control amount of light that you want to throw out. Very useful when ceilings are too high or too dark to bounce the flash (use with a proper ceiling too). Also can be used for close outdoor fill flash but in all cases, it does require practice. I bounce the flash off the card in probably 90% of my indoor shoots. On rare occasions I will drape a tissue or open napkin over the flash when bouncing to knock the flash down when bouncing. Close ups of food dishes would be an example for good technique. Gives better even tones without hotspots.

Pros with old film/flash gear used to tape a piece of carboard to the back of their flash for same use. Nice to have modern flash units that come with card.

Latest threads

Top Bottom