Thanks for advice on 50mm 1.8 AIS (pics)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MiriamJ, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their outstanding help in deciding what lens to buy.

Haven't really had much to shoot, but I did go for a dawn walk in the desert to try it out. I know this isn't one of the picture gallery forums, but I wanted to share my first shots with you.

Not much color that morning, but I thought the detail was beautiful.
    original.
    (I see it's going to be a while before I'm comfortable with the new lens. The first thing I did was pick the spot from which to shoot this picture, and then reach for the zoom to frame the picture. :tongue:)

Also had to try out the shallow DOF. (Very cool). This was at f2.8, and cropped in Photoshop. It's part of a birds nest built in a cholla cactus.
    original.

I love the lens and really appreciate the help.:smile:

BTW, does anyone know of a good place to buy caps for an older lens like this?

2. Just about any Nikon dealer should have 52 mm caps - it by FAR the most common size.

Don

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Nice shots Miriam, and glad your first impressions are favorable. Now for the 105/2.5. That cholla cactus is one nasty dood - you need more range to stay away from it, but the DOF is impressive.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow good going Gal :>))

Nice

5. Thanks, Don. B&H had them for $3. I just ordered one.

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Nice shots, Miriam

I've got the 50mm 1.8 myself but I almost never pull it out of my bag. Your shots will make me try it out again sometime soon.

7. Thanks, Patrick. Having tangled with the horrible stuff, I can confirm the cholla is something to avoid. I'd almost swear they have the ability to reach out and grab you if you're anywhere close enough.

I came within a few seconds of getting the 105/2.5 when my husband came into the room and started looking over my shoulder. So he talked me into the 180 F2.8 ED AIS, instead. :biggrin:

8. Thanks very much, Gale! :)

9. Thanks, John. In the limited time I've had to play with it, I can see where this could be a very useful lens. I also like the light weight when I'm carrying the camera. It's a winner for me.

10. I have been shooting almost exclusively with 50/1.8 for the last 2 weeks or so. It is a fun little lens.

11. Hi, Mark. It impressed me, too.

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Miriam
    Your husband is not wrong - the 180 is one lovely lens and I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it. Merry Chrsitmas and I am sure he is gong to love the picture.

13. Thanks, Patrick, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I hope he does like the picture. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

14. The DOF is really cool in your second shot, i love it. I'm gonna get a AF50 1.8D tomorrow, just for the 1.8 aperture. hope mine works as well as yours.

15. That's cool, Malf! You're going to love it. I had so much fun with the aperture at first, that I was shooting almost everything at f1.8, whether it made sense or not. Pretty silly.:tongue:

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I to like the 50mm 1.8...To bad I hardly ever use it :<(

17. Beauty! I have yet to take my 50mm 1.8 off of my camera since I first put it on. I'm sure when my 180 gets here I'll take it off to try out the 180, . . . well, probably. . .lol.

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey M,

You getting a 180mm? Which flavor?

Wade

19. Hubby insisted I get a 180 F2.8 AIS, manual focus. Who am I to argue? :biggrin: Bjorn speaks very highly of this lens. If it's anywhere near as sharp as the 50mm, I'll be tickled pink.

20. My new year present for myself
    [​IMG]

Not the big one, that virtually invisible one mounted on the FE. I'm still amused by this size comparison:wink:, and guess which one has the larger aperture?:biggrin: Dirt cheap as well,

No time to take any good pictures today, but here's one taken while mucking around in my room.
    [​IMG]

Now can someone tell me why you need the cream machine to make bokeh?:biggrin: (not that it stops me from lusting after it though, but at 10x the price, i think i'll have a lot of saving up to do this new year, and then there's my D200 to save up for! and university fees, driving lessons.... :frown: )