Thanks Gale for the inspiration...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale posted a flower and bee shot recently and it inspired me....see my humble attempt...

[​IMG]

I also took this shot of a spiderweb on our wrought iron pool fence. I was shooting directly into the sun and had a tough time w/the exposure, but in the end, i was relatively please w/the effect of this one....let me know what you all think...

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for looking!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Good going Leigh!! I really like your bee shot, and YES, the spiderweb shot is a good and difficult looking shot! :) :) :)

4. If you call this humble then I'm a complete novice :shock:

5. Well done Leigh, you held the highlights well on the flowers. Nice spiderweb shot as well.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That fence needs painting... :( Guess I know what my next project will be.

I love the bee shot. Nice white flowers. The spider is good too. I still think that it would also look cool in black and white, kinda eerie!

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Paul...Thanks for the kind words. I am trying hard to do well, so the kudos encourage me.

Bryan, that shot was tough. I tried it from about 30 different angles before I came up with this one.

Harry...I've seen your work and you are NO
    novice!!!

Thanks Gordon! The highlights on this one looked much better than the others I shot. The sun was so bright and I'm still learning how to compensate.

Patrick, I got another one I'm working on converting to B&W....I'll see if I can get it up today.

Thanks everyone!

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Leigh

The #2 shot, I saw it once and waited till I showed it to my wife to get her remarks. She is afraid of spiders :))

The only thing I would suggest is to either burn the bright background or crop it :)

Well done, of course.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Leigh,

Great bee shot, and beautiful wite flower.

Great on the white that is tough.

I think I would crop the bottom just at the bottom right corner.

Can't say I have ever see a spider web like that. I look for them because they make neat shots. But the spider better stay home. :>))

10. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Love the flowers and bee.

Just loved the 1st one. I second the idea of getting a little lower and more of an eye to eyes.

Guess you don't have to trade cameras with Patrick after all.

Good job but, Is that all you took. keep em comin.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Love the flowers and bee.

Thanks Greg...yeah, I think I'll keep my little camera for a while. Let me conquer it before I go on to something bigger. It will make me that much better in the long run I would hope.

I took a few others, but I'm still trying to decide if any of them are good enough. Y'all haven't seen the last of me yet!

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I don't like spiders either....but as he was small and I wasn't very close...I felt mostly safe! :?

I tried cropping the second one and I felt it lost something. I'm still learning how work on them after they've been taken. I'm also having a hard time figuring out why it won't shoot RAW all the time...I'm going to have to look through the manual tonight and see what I can figure out.
    Thanks for the advice and thanks for looking...

13. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    the spider was home...he was just VERY TINY!!! :lol:

Thanks for being and inspiration!

14. i would sure enjoy seeing more like this. very nice Leigh. by the way, I am more afraid of bees than I am spiders, I think that was close enough!

15. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Tee hee hee :lol: ....you wouldn't like living in our house then....about 4 years ago we found out we had a colony of bees living in the soffet of our house. Had a fella come out and try to get rid of them....alas they left for a while and then they were back last year but had moved to the front of our house and down into the wall. (they were in the wall all the way from the attic, the second floor, first floor and down into the wall of our basement). We had another fella come and fix it! He was here at least once a week just about all summer and they are finally gone...Knock on wood! What's so crazy is that when it was quiet at night after the kids had gone to bed, you could hear them buzzing in the wall (the wall where our headboard was!!!)

Thanks for looking!

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    HEEHEE Leigh,

Please don't shoot with Patricks camera. You'll be a dead duck.

Nothing like an SLR.

I am better with it, than my Nikon CP5000. I do have tons of pics with it and some really nice ones.

After I got the overwhelming D100, I was afraid to take it out. Now I carry it like I used to carry the other one. Everyday.

Day is done, gone the sun.

:>)))))))

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Leigh. Just goes to show that it's the photog not the cam that makes the picture. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

18. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. It means so much when I get positive feedback....even more so when it's from such a talented group of nice people!

Thanks everyone!