1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thanks Mark/Nute (180 2.8 AF)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Doug, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Nute sold me his 180 af 2.8, a plasticy el cheapo lens, haha. IT sat in for sale area for a day or two, and nobody was hot for it. Well, I asked Mark a question about it right off as I was looking for a 180 to shore up my missing 200VR slot Well, Pseudo fill anyway, ;) , but still wanted to see it. AFter he posted a pic of it, I was all over it, immediately, What a well cared for little gem. Really sharp, though you can't tell much on this photo probably.

I had a kick butt headache today, so I didn't feel like going to shoot, but I had to try it out at least, wow, this is sharp...
    Aperture priority
    ISO 250
    aperture f6.3

[​IMG]

Link if you want to go see full Exif, or original.

minor sharpening, and despeckling.

http://fotogafer.smugmug.com/gallery/3218386#177650680

2. A great lens that lives up to its rep Doug. My only niggle with it is the close focus distance.

I'd like to see a comparison of it with the 200/2.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

set that baby @f2.8, shoot some skin and you'll see why i named her "the dream machine" ..lol
    ...congrats pal:biggrin:

4. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the 180! It's the ultimate people shooting lens...especially for candids. Take Nute's advice and put it at 2.8 and shoot skin...you'll fall in love.

5. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Agree with Nute. I had one (then sold it). From my non-professional eyes, it matches 85/1.4 for people. The bokeh looks fabulous. I didn't hold it because it's too long for what I normally do. I didn't want to yell at my models while working with them. :)  Great lens! You'll love it.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    thanks guys. It may well have to learn to shoot some scapes too. :)  But points taken on it's strongsuite. Again, tonight was just a walk out front and test it, no time for anything else tonight...

Doug

7. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    I've had the 180 on my maybe, not sure, wouldn't mind, kind of want list for awhile. There are so many positive comments out there if this length fits into your style of shooting. So maybe I'll give it another look. What to do, what to do. Life would be much simpler if cameras were just a box with a hole.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The 180 does great with pano scapes.:wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.