Thanks, pulled trigger on new computer build

First, thank you for your help in my previous post regarding a new computer build. Well, I finally gave the go ahead for the build.

Here are the specs:
Intel Core i7 Quad Processor 920
Asus P6T-SE Motherboard with Intel X58 Express Chipset
6 GB DDR3 1333 Memory Triple Channel
150GB VelociRaptor SATA2 Hard Drive...for os and programs
1 TB 32MB SATA2 Hard Drive...for data
ATI HD 4850 512MB
Thermaltake 600w PurePower 24 Pin, Dual PCI-E
Sound, USB 2.0 and Gigabit LAN
20x DVD±RW Dual Layer SATA

Question: I'm wondering if I should partition the 1TB hard drive into two 500 GB? I have Norton Partition Magic. I'm thinking of copying the os and other program files in one of the partitions for back up. Does this sound alright and what is the current thought on partitioning of a large drive for data files?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Make sure you get 3 2GB memory sticks and not 6 1GB sticks. Otherwise you will have to throw some away when you upgrade to 12GB.

Are you planning to run XP then? Partition Magic doesn't run on Vista or W7. You would do better to create the partitions you want when you install the operating system.

I would create two 500s, and after I had finished installing all the software on C I would run Norton Ghost and write a compressed image of the C drive into the E drive, where it will fit nicely (one large file). Then if your VelociRaptor fails or C gets corrupted you can get everything running again in half an hour.

Make sure you get 3 2GB memory sticks and not 6 1GB sticks. Otherwise you will have to throw some away when you upgrade to 12GB.

Are you planning to run XP then? Partition Magic doesn't run on Vista or W7. You would do better to create the partitions you want when you install the operating system.

I would create two 500s, and after I had finished installing all the software on C I would run Norton Ghost and write a compressed image of the C drive into the E drive, where it will fit nicely (one large file). Then if your VelociRaptor fails or C gets corrupted you can get everything running again in half an hour.
vista can do the partion itself extra software not needed....

Real Name
David

The only partitioning I do you already have taken care of with the two drives. That said it can make organization easier.

As noted 3 -2gb sticks and Ghost to backup "clean" install of programs.

I always recommend partitioning large drives.

I'd probably go so far as to do 250x4 myself. :)

Thanks Jay, for your suggestion.

Hi rbeal, Yes, these are 2 gb memory sticks so upgrading from 6 to 12 should be easy. They are to install XP PRO since I had purchased the OS separately and the computer no longer works. I really didn't want to mess with Vista since Windows 7 is to be released soon.

I'm not at home but Norton Ghost may have come with Partition Magic if my memory serves me correctly. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi Andrey, I'm skipping Vista and will wait for Windows 7 to be released as I have read many going things about it. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Thanks Jay, for your suggestion.

Hi rbeal, Yes, these are 2 gb memory sticks so upgrading from 6 to 12 should be easy. They are to install XP PRO since I had purchased the OS separately and the computer no longer works. I really didn't want to mess with Vista since Windows 7 is to be released soon.

I'm not at home but Norton Ghost may have come with Partition Magic if my memory serves me correctly. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi Andrey, I'm skipping Vista and will wait for Windows 7 to be released as I have read many going things about it. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
i'd just down load the Windows 7 RC and use that, cause with XP your going to have to reformat to upgrade away way.

AND with xp only 3.5GB of your ram will be able to used and the processors cores won't all get use eather.

Sam,
I just built a similar system...you might want to consider a bigger power supply to future proof any up-grades you do later (more harddrives, another video card etc...).

i'd just down load the Windows 7 RC and use that, cause with XP your going to have to reformat to upgrade away way.

AND with xp only 3.5GB of your ram will be able to used and the processors cores won't all get use eather.

Hi Andrey,
I really struggled with the OS decision. It came down to I'm really not a tech person. I didn't want to get stuck not knowing what to do in case something went wrong with the computer and/or software compatibility with Windows 7. My current computer is over 5 years old: 3 ghz with 1 g RAM. So, even with limited potential use of the new computer it's going to be much better than my current one. But, I understand that a new computer would be ideal for a new install of Windows 7.

Do you think installing Windows 7 from an XP machine would be difficult and have potential problems? I would reformat the XP hard drive and install Windows 7 as I will not have many programs installed in the machine.

Sam,
I just built a similar system...you might want to consider a bigger power supply to future proof any up-grades you do later (more harddrives, another video card etc...).

Hi Andrey,
I really struggled with the OS decision. It came down to I'm really not a tech person. I didn't want to get stuck not knowing what to do in case something went wrong with the computer and/or software compatibility with Windows 7. My current computer is over 5 years old: 3 ghz with 1 g RAM. So, even with limited potential use of the new computer it's going to be much better than my current one. But, I understand that a new computer would be ideal for a new install of Windows 7.

Do you think installing Windows 7 from an XP machine would be difficult and have potential problems? I would reformat the XP hard drive and install Windows 7 as I will not have many programs installed in the machine.
in my experience i have less problem with windows 7 then i did XP

all your stuff is new and there are a few threads here about what software for photogs work in W7

plus the W7 down load is free right now

Sam,

Hi Brian,
Congrats on your new powerful machine!!

I upgraded the power supply to 600w from 460w offered in their package. I was thinking this was enough but perhaps it isn't. I'm at my limit (money wise) as I also need to get a new monitor, hopefully a 24". I hope not getting a bigger power supple doesn't hurt me latter now.

Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Real Name
David
Are you going 32bit or 64bit? If 64bit than CHECK YOUR DRIVERS.

But if you are runnig 64bit XP you already know that. Printer drivers are the only thing that has been an issue for me, but it was in XP64 as well. But I guess that is the only real problem I've ever had with HP laserjets, they las too long.

Hi Andrew and David,
Yes, I've read many threads on Windows 7 here and DPreview and found that that many people are excited about this OS.

It's the XP 32 bit version that is to be installed. I'm thinking if I keep the OS and Programs on the 150GB VelociRaptor then hopefully a fresh install of Windows 7 (once released) should be ok. Or am I incorrect?

Hi Andrew and David,
Yes, I've read many threads on Windows 7 here and DPreview and found that that many people are excited about this OS.

It's the XP 32 bit version that is to be installed. I'm thinking if I keep the OS and Programs on the 150GB VelociRaptor then hopefully a fresh install of Windows 7 (once released) should be ok. Or am I incorrect?
150 is plenty i have 160 right now plenty of space

Thanks guys!! It's always reassuring to know that others like the build. Now, the wait until Wed afternoon and then some fun. Also, I just purchased CS4 so this is going to be double fun.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you want to find out if your power supply is adequate, this seems to be the best calculator:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
It makes quite cautious assumptions.

The system I've upgraded only has a 460W supply.

It has the Core i7 920, 12GB DDR3, ATI X1500 video, 3 SATA drives, an extra PCI card, two DVD drives, floppy, USB card reader, 2 more USB devices. The calculator came up with 346 Watts.

I tried it with 12 sticks of RAM instead of 6, told it the power supply was ancient and decaying (30%) and it came up with 400W. So I should be OK with 460W.

Based on this I'm fairly sure your 600W will be fine. But why not try the calculator. Probably the main change would be a more powerful graphics card than my old one.

Sam,
You are wasting your 6gb of RAM if you are going w/xp32 bit. The 32bit will only recognize a little over 3gb. Also, if you are planning to upgrade to win 7 64 bit you wont be able to unless you do a clean install of win7 64 bit...just a thought.

Sam, I would suggest going ahead and install XP on the C: drive. After you have that up and running, you could install Windows 7 on one of the other drives/partitions and have dual-boot. That way, you have the best of both worlds.

My current machine is dual-boot: XP and Vista x64. As I'm writing this, I'm shrinking one of my drives to make room for another partition to install Windows 7 x64. Personally, I like having a dual-boot system. That way, if something goes wrong with one of the OS's, you can always boot into the other OS, either to use the computer, or as an aid to fixing the broken OS. I have most of my apps installed in the same location under both XP & Vista (I have a separate partition just for apps). The only app that I don't do a common install on is the antivirus SW, since it's OS specific.

Latest threads

Top Bottom