Thanks to Mitchell

I felt very inspired by Mitchell's garage pictures. My kids were playing in the garage this afternoon so I took my new reflector out to try and get some pictures of them. Unlike the warm Florida weather that Mitchell enjoys, we are experiencing snow today, so the specs in the pictures are from the snow. Both were taking with my 50mm lens at f/1.8. Thanks Mitchell for the inspiration!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice Amber! Which reflector did you purchase?
Thanks Mike. It is the Lastolite Trigrip Reflector. I have only use it a few times but I think I will really like it (now that I have mastered putting it back in the case). That took some practice. I like that it has the grip on it so I can hold it and take the picture at the same time. I plan on using it a lot more when the weather warms up around here.

Amber, these are beautiful. You managed to get some good directional lighting which created some great facial detail. I struggle with the bright florida sun creating a very flat light.

The first is a classic "garage" photo with nice, subtle colors. The second shot is great with the vibrant colors of the jacket.

Nicely done!!!

Amber, these are beautiful. You managed to get some good directional lighting which created some great facial detail. I struggle with the bright florida sun creating a very flat light.

The first is a classic "garage" photo with nice, subtle colors. The second shot is great with the vibrant colors of the jacket.

Nicely done!!!
Thank you Mitch. I always love your garage photos. It was fun to do something a little different. I can't wait to start taking pictures outdoors again!

fantastic! this just encourages me to go out and purchase a reflector myself and start learning how to use it. you did a great job with directional lighting as mentioned above!

Very nice!

Would you mind sharing a little bit more detail? I can't picture at all what the light was like here or where the reflector was positioned or how big etc...

I've never used a reflector before but the light on these is fantastic.

Very nice!

Would you mind sharing a little bit more detail? I can't picture at all what the light was like here or where the reflector was positioned or how big etc...

I've never used a reflector before but the light on these is fantastic.
I simply had my kids stand at the edge of the garage with the garage door open. It was very overcast outside. I held the reflector in my hand and had it right in front of them so that it was reflecting on their faces. It was pretty simple. I hope that makes sense.

I simply had my kids stand at the edge of the garage with the garage door open. It was very overcast outside. I held the reflector in my hand and had it right in front of them so that it was reflecting on their faces. It was pretty simple. I hope that makes sense.
I take it the garage becomes quite underexposed and that is what causes the kids to stand out, then the reflector provides a nice even light.

I think people often use a similar concept with shade if I'm not mistaken?

I believe that made complete sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I take it the garage becomes quite underexposed and that is what causes the kids to stand out, then the reflector provides a nice even light.

I think people often use a similar concept with shade if I'm not mistaken?

I believe that made complete sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, that's right, the garage was pretty dark and I pointed the camera so it was aimed at their face and the garage floor.

These shots will only get more precious as time rolls by. I prefer natural lighting but I too will have to learn to suppliment my lighting.

Top Bottom