Thanksgiving Day Portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by PGB, Nov 24, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    We usually take pictures after stuffing ourselves at my family's gathering for Thanksgiving. Here are a few that I have processed. All were taken with the 24-85 f2.8-4 with D2x and Sb800 for fill.

Let me know what you think.

My sister (no fill flash)
    [​IMG]

My sister's family
    [​IMG]

My sister and her husband
    [​IMG]

My brother and his family
    [​IMG]

Group photo. Okay, its pretty difficult to get 24 people to cooperate, set the cam for interval shooting, run into the shot and get ready. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

2. Boy, you were working with some difficult lighting here, Patrick. I think the group shot is priceless, even though it shows you doing the "peak-a-boo" thing!:smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Looks like a heck of a party Patrick.... well done.
    Hope you saved a little turkey for this canuck as we don't do thankgiving this later in the year as it's to darn cold... (-33 tonight with the wind chill)
    Darn truck will never start in the morning... oh well i'll stay home and work on photos....lol

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Looks like you had a great time Patrick..

5. Good shots and yes, difficult lighting! The first one looks a little "cool" (bluish tint). I've found that running a warming filter in Photoshop can really help an image like this have a more natural WB.

image->adjustments->photo filter->warming filter

6. Hey Patrick,

What a great looking family you guys have there. Boy I feel sorry for your brother, with all them girls! :smile:

And boy do I know what you mean about setting the timer, getting in the shot while trying to not force a smile. Looks like you guys had fun. There's nothing like having family during the holidays.

7. Must be a great party. There's nothing more wonderful than a family gathering. Thanks for sharing.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Real nice poses of a really big family, Patrick. I see you appear to be shooting Cloudy WB again, (that's just a guess, since you didn't preserve the shooting data). Unless everyone in that family is part Asian, :eek: then the WB is off a bit towards yellow. It's a little better than the last time I commented on this subject. Actually, the 1st shot is actually a tad cool, as Paul mentioned. Tell Santa you want a WhiBal Pocket card w/Lanyard for Xmas! :tongue: It's by far the easiest, most convenient way to get the proper WB in-field.
    http://www.rawworkflow.com/products/whibal/

9. Those are nice family portraits. Nice work!

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know enough about Photoshop yet, but the images are still very nice. Your sister's image could have benefitted by a bit of fill flash, but the rest are very nice. The image of the entire family is very special. Were these shot in your yard? Great plant in the backyard acting as a backdrop!

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Very good shots,liked the warm lighting here.