That $8000.00 Smile

Discussion in 'People' started by Django, Sep 13, 2008.

1. 5 years and $8000.00 later,
    My daughter Krysta has finally had her last round of braces removed.
    I got to love that smile :biggrin:

p657715549-5.

p1030337576-5.

2. 1. great shots
    2. krysta is beautiful

3. $8,000.00
    hmmmmmmm
    that's on the HIGH SIDE
    but..... i guess for 5 years.....

money well spent, of course

3. Thanks Greg!
    She has had a few of her teeth removed to make room for incoming and three rounds of braces and pallet expanders in the last 5 years.
    She does deserve a nice smile after all she has been through!
    Ted B

4. That is great, congratulations to your daughter for sticking with it. Lovely smile.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    She's got a lovely smile!

Greg, you don't even want to know what my parents spent on my smile...and that was 20+, er, let's just say it was a long time ago. I had an amazing orthodontist in Los Angeles, California. No, he wasn't cheap, but worth every single penny!

6. A lovely smile and a sweet young lady. You can just see the grown woman beginning to show in her face.

What's the deal? When I was a kid no one had braces, not it seems the norm. Did mother nature forget how to make teeth? :confused: 

7. I know the feeling (4 kids, 2 went through the whole routine).
    Love that smile, she must be ecstatic!

8. you bet, Ted
    i'm glad for your clarification about the cost
    as a pediatrician... parents complain to me ALL THE TIME about how much their orthodontist is charging them to "fix" their kid's teeth... :rolleyes: 

9. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    I came to this thread thinking of seeing a picture of a person's smile caught using an $8,000 lens .. little did I expect to see such a wonderful young lady .. and what a smile, I'd say more like a Million $$$.

10. Thanks everyone for the nice comments!
    Krysta is for sure enjoying her new smile.
    Ted B

11. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Congrats indeed. My wife had her braces removed last year (this is the third time she's had them) and it wasn't cheap, but it was worth it as she's finally happy with her smile. Great shots...make sure you tell her to show them off all the time.

12. With due respect to all the parents here, complaining that $x is too much is like saying that $y is too much to fix your car. It depends on the problem that is fixed.

Second, about the picture. Nice shot, nice color. IMO, any crop that minimizes the amount of white shirt showing will be better because the brightness of the shirt overwhelms her lovely complexion. Using 2nd pic, I would crop to just below the second line of stitching in the collar of her shirt, after uprighting the head a bit

13. Nice shots. Beautiful girl. I'm sure the results far outweigh the price. Now, I hope this is not taken the wrong way, but judging by the pics, she might benefit from a teeth whitening session or two. With all the money that's gone into straightening them out, there's no reason to not put a little more money into making them whiter. That's one of the best investments you can make to improve the looks of a smile. How much time do we as photographers spend in post processing whitening client's teeth before printing? I spent $30 on some infomercial "Vanna White" bleaching kit 15 years ago. Tried it for a couple weeks on my top teeth only. I still get comments on the whiteness of my smile 15 years later. Of course, not smoking or drinking coffee helps keep 'em white too.

14. Thanks Dave!
    She is for sure showing them off!

Thanks Lew for the crop tip!
    I usually wouldn't consider a white shirt in a planned shot. These shots were taken in my garage with a new D700 less than 10 minutes out of the box. I snagged her for the shot as she was leaving for a birthday party.
    I can't wait to get her in front of some strobes and figure this camera out a bit..

Good eye! I Like the crop....

p495073466-5.

Thanks for the nice comments!
    Yes they do the Zoom whitening on her next month follow up visit.
    I dumped the jpegs right out of the camera and uploaded them.
    Guess I should have done a little pp :smile:
    Thanks again everyone......Ted B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  15. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    $8K for a mouthful of teeth? Not too bad. I just finished an implant for a front incisor, #8, which I originally broke about 55 years ago at the age of 10. After enduring a bone graft and them the implant surgery, I finally got the finished toof about a month ago. It looks and feels great. $4K for one tooth. I am happy though.

Your daughter looks great! She is a lovely young lady. Nice set of teeth, be sure she takes good care and flosses and brushes regularly. Her orthodontist did a great job. :smile:

16. Congrats to her! She has a stunning smile!

17. IMO, the issue with this nice portrait is not that the shirt isn't white enough but that it is too white and the tones in the face are too flat.

If the OP gives permission, I will post a PM I sent to him with my suggested edits.

L

18. That brings back memories. My daughter was 15 when her braces came off. I took off work to take her to the dentist, and then out to lunch to celebrate. I was amazed at how grown up and beautiful she looked without the hardware. Then I saw a guy checking her out, and was suddenly aware that I was facing a whole new set of problems :eek: :rolleyes: .

Your snapshot would profit from selective levels adjustment to Krysta's face, and also needs some white balance adjustment. There's a yellow cast throughout, not just on her teeth.

19. I had not noticed that the OP had not given permission for me to post my correction. I will remove it at this time. Sorry.

20. Thanks everyone for all the kind words and pp advise!
    Gordon or anyone else please feel free to post you corrections. I would love to see the results.
    I am here to learn and share all I can about digital photography and PP.
    Thanks again....Ted B

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.