1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

That Leica thing...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kanzlr, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    hi there!

A few months ago I was on pilgrimage with a few members (and guests) of our 15th century reenactment company.

The interesting part for you here is, that I took my D700 with me and attached a modified Leica 35/2.8 Elmarit-R :smile:

Well I sold the leica and got the Zeiss 35/2 later on because I wanted the convenience of an auto-diaphragm, but the optical behaviour of the Leica was superb. A bit soft in the extreme corners and some vignetting wide open, but who cares. Other than the superb resolutio, color, etc. And the images have that certain something I can not describe. Very Very Very nice imho.

I was thinking about posting a few of these in the wanderslust section, but in reality, I just post them to show you how the Leica looks on the D700.

They are no works of art as their purpose is to document our event, but I think there are a few nice ones :) 

[​IMG]

p69851095-5.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 391751

[​IMG]

View attachment 391752

[​IMG]

a lot more (from Saturday) and full res downloadable images can be found here:
    http://kanzlr.zenfolio.com/p299053165

I will post when I had time to process the other three days :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  2. minkoo

minkoo

Jul 3, 2009
    London
    lovely images Bernhard!

3. Hey these are super, I must get back soon but probably next spring now, keep them coming.

4. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    Thanks,

But cornwall is tempting too! :smile:

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Special,different IQ! Looks Great!

6. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    I was surprised when I reviewed the images at home.
    Usually I tend to think about that "leica glow", "zeiss 3d effect" etc. as bogus.

But I can not deny that the Leica images have a quality I can not put my finger on.

7. They are lovely. I think the last one in particular to me as a landscape feels very 3D

8. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    The butterfly shot is amazing.

9. MMPG1

MMPG1

May 10, 2009
    Germany
    Hi Bernhard,
    very nice pictures! Very smooth and elegant colors.
    How do you like your new Zeiss 35 compared to the Leica?

10. SayCheese

SayCheese

Jan 25, 2009
    Italy (Padova)
    Great pics!

But now you have to post something even better to justify the purchase of the Zeiss.. :) 

Hehe.. the guy in the picture with the butterfly has a blade of grass in his mouth.. nice detail :) 

11. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    heh. Unfortunately I have never tried both side by side.
    When I sold the Leica I bought an Ultron, but didn't really like her rendering much.
    the Zeiss is very different. It is amazingly sharp and more evenly so across the frame than the Leica. It also vignettes quite a bit less.

The Zeiss is faster and has aperture coupling. Also it is super sharp at f2 already. It definitely has a good 3D effect, for what it is worth. I think it just has superb resolution, so the in focus areas pop out more. Also, the contrast is eye punching, maybe helping here too.

As to the rendering...it is different from the leica and I bite my *** that I can not shoot them side by side.

But as I am interested in rendering differences in general, I plan to shoot the Zeiss next to a Nikon 35-70/2.8.
    I know that the Zeiss is a lot better (had a pretty sharp copy of the Nikon), but that is not what I want to try. I want to see if the images LOOK different in a greater sense.

12. The last two shots are my favourite. Great series!

13. All quite nice- the second shot is particularly good.

14. ZoranC

ZoranC

Dec 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    VERY nice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.