1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

That lightbulb moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lr0868, Aug 19, 2008.

1. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I was wondering how long it took you when you first learned photography to get to that moment where the lightbulb goes off and you knew when you picked up the camera that you intuitively knew the right settings for the shot.

I realize that it is always a life long learning process and varies based on lens and camera, but for the most part I have to believe that there is a comfort zone for most experienced people with most of ther shots at some point.

I know as a newbie I am getting to a point where I am about 50% comfortable knowing the proper settings, but it is still a learning process which is why I love the forum as it helps alot in this regard.

2. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I never had a lightbulb go off in my head, but after a year of heavy shooting and get enthralled with photography, I am pretty close on my settings first shot. I'd say in macro work, I've got the settings I want after about 1 or 2 test shots. With portraits I was at about 2-3 shots to get the settings I wanted but I just started using an umbrella and off camera flash so now it takes me about 50 shots to NOT get the shots I want... :)  I'm getting there though and eventually I hope to be as good with the umbrella as my other stuff.....all of my stuff I try to improve constantly though.

3. for me it was after I took a class at a local college. It was by far the best $$ I could have spent on photography. I have a few books recommended here and they help, but having instruction from a pro with 25+ years experience was worth way more than the cost of the course and droped years off my learing curve if I were to try to figure it out my self.

4. I have been photographing for about a year and a half now... and i would say... it took about a year for me to get 50% comfortable with some of my settings. i am still really into the "mess around and see what i get" stage right now. this fall i am going to be a freshman in college so i am taking photo classes and hoping to get a bachelors in something photography related :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.