Critique That's a good boy!

Was doing a shoot of the little one and basically done when mum swept him up for a kiss. I sort of realised what she was going to do while he was being carried and managed to get this shot. Wish I had anticipated a bit earlier and able to increase aperture a bit.

Nikon D200 @ ISO 200
AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G @ 55mm
1/100 @ f/2.8
RawTherapee & Nik Collection
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a very touching moment caught to display forever.

You mentioned that you wish you had "increased" the aperture. Do you mean to use a smaller or larger aperture? I ask because to my taste a smaller aperture would have provided a larger depth of field to also include at least the baby's eyes.

People always seek a pinsharp image. In my opinion, the unsharpness in this image makes it more intimate, and more angel-like. I like what you've done here, Dayo.

By the way, the strap on the shirt arm there, isn't that a Bavarian sleeve strap?

I agree with Tor that the lack of sharpness on the baby is attractive though for a different reason: I like that the sharp area of the image leads the viewer to the mother's eyes. Indeed, if the image was mine I would try blurring the baby's mouth to make it more out of focus, more like the baby's eyes.

Thanks for the comments both. It was all in an instinctive shooting mode where you just do things without particularly thinking about it.

She liked the shot and while I can see the merits of the shot with respect to the OOF face, if I had been able to anticipate earlier, I still would have tried to reduce the aperture by 1 stop but it was either do that or miss the moment.

@Mike Buckley, I did focus on mum's eye. Interesting idea about blurring the mouth. I might have a go at that.

@theriksen, Sorry, I wouldn't know the difference between a Bolivian and a Bavarian Sleeve Strap! I suspect you are right though but think mum probably picked this top out at one of the local malls.

Revisited

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom