That's a good camera and/or lens!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    How many times do you hear that when you're out shooting sporting events? From parents and other spectators. Some mean well, though one guy last week had a sarcastic tone.
    Some, though they don't mean anything by it, seem to think, because I have a "high tech" camera, all I have to do is stand and point, and push the button.
    Right.
    If it were only that easy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  2. I hear it a lot at new places I go to shoot. Mostly people ask, are you from the newspaper or something? Or, who do you work for? I always say, I work for you and ask if they have a kid playing. And that almost always opens the door for my sales pitch.

3. I often get asked if I am "sponsored" by anyone, which I think would be incorrect terminology if I was "hired" to be there....

But I rarely get comments on my camera from people who don't own the same gear, Then again I don't go to many spectator sport events, The people who are there are getting their pictures taken, so I guess that curbs those types of comments.

I would be a little envious if I saw someone there with a few thousand dollars better gear than me, a lesser man might make an underhanded comment, But just take it in stride, they are just jealous if a little ignorant.

4. Hear ya... :smile:

Although the biggest catch is my Nikon photo-vest, that kills'em all :biggrin:

5. cupowater

cupowater Guest

whenever i'm shooting in the water surfers always paddle by and go "What surf magazine are you shooting for?" or "Who do you shoot for?" ... i just say myself, then they feel stupid

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I get the same questions and the one that seems to get the strangest look is when they ask how many megapixels my camera has as they show me their nice point and shoot. When I say 4.1 mp, that will invariably make their mouth open in amazement.

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Sure I'm envious too when I see someone with better equipment than me (which happens a good bit). But I don't make underhanded comments. In fact I've talked to a couple of guys, and one of them is one of the nicest I've ever met. I see him from time to time at state championships.
    OTOH, I've heard a comment or two suggesting because of my equipment, it would be easier for me to get good shots.

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I also get the "who are you shooting for" questions, but that doesn't bother me. Just people being curious and making light conversation. I am in a small town.

There's a photographer for the school (website/yearbook) who shoots at football games, some softball..etc. She wanted to know what lens I was using to get such sharp clear photos. (her words..not mine). I said, a 70-200 2.8.
    A couple of weeks later, she showed up with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS (Canon user).
    Oh..if were only as simple as just buying another lens to improve my photos.:rolleyes:

9. I was recently banned from photographing in Dubai in a hotel complex.

"We do not allow cameras like that in here"
    "Why?" I asked
    "Because they are used by professionals who want to sell our ideas to other hotel groups"!!!

Despite my protest, they would not budge. Apparantly a compact is fine!

10. marksayer

marksayer Guest

If you said that here in the UK you would have the police on scene within 5 minutes.... the country has gone crazy when it comes to photographing kids

Long gone are the days of providing a service to parents...

11. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Now that IS sad!