That's a good camera!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Mims, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    How many times have you shown your photos, and been asked what type camera you used? Then the next comment is almost always, that's a good camera.
    Today I got some compliments on some of my sports images I've been shooting this year. I was told my new "rig" was really working well for me.
    :rolleyes:
    (I'd gone back to Nikon in Jan, and use a D300/300 f/2.8 combo) I'm not mad or offended, more amused than anything.

Sure, the Nikon works much better for me. I like the out of camera images, much better.

I know this person probably didn't mean it as insult, so I just ignored it. But it does seem like asking a chef what pots and utensils he used after preparing a fine meal.

2. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Has anyone ever heard the inverse?

Has anyone ever looked at a bad picture and said "Oh, you must have a really nasty camera!"

:biggrin:

3. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Sure. If you look at about anything from most cell phone cameras that's quite appropriate.

Also, in this cases I suspect that the people making these comments were extremely unlikely to own any camera likely to be able to produce images similar to what Jeff can with his. A substantial (but certainly not only) portion of the differences between his images and those they could get is due to gear. A lot of sports photography is quite expensive-gear intensive, after all.

4. I've had this told to me, not this EXACT statement, but I took some pictures with my D60 once and posted them on another board.
    I cannot for the life of me remember what they were pictures of. I'm thinking they were of my dog, but something was a little off with them and I cannot remember what.
    But I noticed it and made a comment of sorts and someone posted, in all seriousness, and told me something like, "That's what happens when you use a cheap camera."
    He had no idea I had taken them with my D60.

D'oh! The funny thing is, is I believe he made the comment in an attempt not to insult ME as a photographer.
    hahahahahaha.

5. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    I think its a common misconception that you can just go out and buy an expensive setup, and take the same pics that an experienced photog can. I know I've posted pics on another forum, and once the question of what cam I was using came up someone said "well no wonder they're so good, your camera is expensive".

I try not to let it annoy me, but it can. Its almost like saying, "oh you're not actually good at what you do, the camera must do it for you." I think its more of a misconception than anything, though, because once most of these people make the leap into dslr's they're suprised that their pics don't look stunning on auto..

6. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Marketers' dreams.

7. I was at the zoo a couple of months ago and was mounting my 300mm f2.8 to my camera body. Some lady walked by and said "That sure is a big camera!" to which I replied, "Not really, that is my small big LENS." She concentrated on my remark for a few seconds then wandered off - not getting 'it' at all.

8. I get a variety of these remarks all the time. No bad intentions, just ignorance (which I understand).
    I smile, answer politely and forget it :smile: , life is really too short to let this bother me.

9. And the sad thing is that until I got serious about taking pictures and owned a variety of different cameras I thought the same way.

I would see some pictures and assume the camera did all of the work. Now that I have learned a thing or two (just a couple lol) I understand, but I don't let it bother me when I get the comment myslef.

10. On another note, have you ever been asked if you needed to take classes to learn how to use your camera?

11. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    Ditto to all of this! I think I'm guilty of making that comment before. :redface: :eek:

12. I am sure that we are all constantly getting that question. It is usually followed by, "How many pixels does it have?"

I am starting to enjoy that second question. As I have not yet shown any photos from my D300, most of the images that I have shown have been from my D70. It is entertaining when someone views a large print on a gallery wall, marvels at the fine detail, and asks the "How many megapixels" question, after stating that their 10 or 12 megapixel P&S could never produce such a shot. I just meekly answer, "Six." Some of the reactions are marvelous.

13. "that's a good camera"
    "that's a huge camera"
    "what's that camera worth?"

I just smile and say thank you, then hand them a business card.
    If they want I'll converse about cameras and photography.
    Everyone you meet is a potential customer.

14. Well...

I used to take it in stride... "Oh you have a great camera!" and ... "Your camera takes great pictures...!" but now I am a bit offended - I work too hard at getting the best possible images I can with both the camera and then the post processing that ... no, the camera did not take the image.

Oh well... I smile and nod and make a mental note not to send that person any pictures they ask for :smile: Secretly hoping they go and spend a fortune in camera gear in order to get similar results (... I have to say that the D3 has made my job a lot easier than any other camera I ever tried...)

Great after I posted the above I saw Greg's "That's a huge camera" ... I once was in a line at a Starbucks with a D2Hs and the 70-200 stuck to it and there were two women behind me - one whispers top the other, "... pssst he must be compensating for something", I just whipped around with a big smile on my face and said, "No I am advertising..." they both turned bright red and they were strangely quiet after this. :smile:

4.2 ... was my answer when I had the D2Hs and one guy said to me "I have a Sony W100, it has 8 megapixels, I have a better camera." I just said... "For you it is" :smile:

But yes... Greg is right - they are all potential clients so smile and nod :wink:

15. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Analogies

I use this one quite often when told that my pictures are excellent, I must have a great camera:

"It has nothing to do with the camera. When you have a great meal, do you walk up to the chef and say, 'Wow, you must have a great set of pans.'?"

I'll use the food thing with regards to getting digital copies of pictures for reprinting purposes:

"Let me ask you something. The last time you went out to a really nice restaurant and ordered up a great meal, did your server hand you over the recipe along with your bill? Didn't think so."

16. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

Tahat Comment"gee You Must Have A Great Camera " Seems To Be The Prevailing Attitude Here At The Cafe.look At All The Peoples That Trade Off Their D80 After A Few Months For The 300 Only To Trae Up To The D700 All In The Hopes Of Getting Great Pic!

17. Well the better the violin the better the music will be... Didn't cha know? :wink::biggrin:

18. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    That's the crux of the matter for me. You just phrased it better than I did. I do try not to let it annoy me. I *do* realize, I'm not the best photographer around, but I put a lot of time and effort into learning how to use my gear. To me it's a bit insulting to say my photos are good only because of the gear I use. Again, I know I'm not the greatest, and the gear has helped me. But only to the extent I've tried to learn how to use it.

19. Whenever the "Gee. You must have a great camera." comment is made to me, I always reply that the most important thing in photography is what's up here (said as I point to my head), and that everything else is just commentary.

20. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    There are images I simply could NOT get before I got a 300 f/2.8. I would say there are images many parents can't get because they don't have a 300 f/2.8.
    But good/expensive gear does not automatically mean good photos.
    Case in point-
    Mike Mac uses a D300 and 300 f/2.8 and 1.4 TC for a lot of his field sports. (softball, soccer..etc)
    I use the same equipment, but my images are nowhere near as good as his. That is proof of the photographer being the major force behind good photos.