The 14-24 and D3 rule the night

Both the 24-70 and 14-24 have the same 2.8 aperture but the 14-24 does the night much better than most other lenses out except the 28/1.4 (I can't speak about the Noct - I have yet to try it...)

With the 14-24 I am not looking for shallow depth of field - I am looking for a usable night picture and it truly delivers shots after shots at lower iso than I would expect and I think that big bulging front element has something to do with it. A few grab shots - no tripod :smile:

More 14-24 shots can be found here: In Wanderlust

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 219519

A few views from the top captured before the pictures above

View attachment 219521

View attachment 219522

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, a highly technical explanation, "Big Bulging front element" ;)

Nice shots, 1 is superb, and utilizes that perspective the D3 and 14-24 combo are made for.

Those are terrific shots of Paris!

My old (new to me) 14/2.8 is also great for night shots, but there is significant vigging wide open . . . so it depends on what you shoot.

T

TippCity

Great shots!!

Both the 24-70 and 14-24 have the same 2.8 aperture but the 14-24 does the night much better than most other lenses out except the 28/1.4 (I can't speak about the Noct - I have yet to try it...)

With the 14-24 I am not looking for shallow depth of field - I am looking for a usable night picture and it truly delivers shots after shots at lower iso than I would expect and I think that big bulging front element has something to do with it. A few grab shots - no tripod :smile:

More 14-24 shots can be found here: In Wanderlust

View attachment 219529

A few views from the top captured before the pictures above

View attachment 219530

View attachment 219531
The 14-24 is my most used lens.
Super captures.
Outstanding!
Keep Posting

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ssjarz

Great shots. A friend of mine purchased a 14-24 and it also is really good at museum settings (aircraft at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson Az.). He sold me his 12 - 24, which I then sold and I regret it. Now I am looking for another wide angle lens but don't have the money for the 14 - 24. I am thinking about a Tokina 11- 16.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great shots. A friend of mine purchased a 14-24 and it also is really good at museum settings (aircraft at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson Az.). He sold me his 12 - 24, which I then sold and I regret it. Now I am looking for another wide angle lens but don't have the money for the 14 - 24. I am thinking about a Tokina 11- 16.
I did not purchase the 12-24 as I preferred waiting for the 14-24 and having a wide angle lens is so great - The 14-24 is truly astounding.

The 14-24 is my most used lens.
Super captures.
Outstanding!
Keep Posting
Thank you - I wouldn't say it is my most used for the type of photography I do but certainly the only one almost always in my bag. More so than even the 24-70 since I started the one lens a day trials.

those shots are beautiful!

Would you mind posting your ISO?
Thank you - the first one in this series was captured at iso 3200, the second at iso 1250, the third one at 2500 and the last one at iso 1250.

love this thread
great shots, patrick

joe... terrific, too
Thank you Greg.

Those are terrific shots of Paris!

My old (new to me) 14/2.8 is also great for night shots, but there is significant vigging wide open . . . so it depends on what you shoot.
Nice shots, the advantage the 14-24 has is the nano coating :smile: I love wide when needed.

Yes, a highly technical explanation, "Big Bulging front element" ;)

Nice shots, 1 is superb, and utilizes that perspective the D3 and 14-24 combo are made for.
Ha ha ha yup - real technical (I have not one clue how it works...)

Thank you, I do like the twisted perspective you can get with it.

Wow!...........Nicely done. You wet my whistle for the 14-24mm f/2.8 with those images.
Thank you - it is well worth it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom