1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The 180mm at gymnastics

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BostonRott, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Em started her gymnastics a year ago, I can't believe how quickly it's gone! :smile: Her summer class was with a different instructor, and now we're back to the one she had for most of the year. Currently, she's the only one in her class, so 45min of private instruction! :biggrin:

I took a borrowed 180/2.8 to class and enjoyed shooting it. :smile:

Stretching
    102994214.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beam
    View attachment 252159

Springboard practice for vault, and sticking landings
    View attachment 252160

Bar work - learning to keep arms straight, and swing out and away
    View attachment 252161

2. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Gretchen,

These are outstanding. She looks so serious and is seemingly having fun doing it. I can't wait to photograph my daughters doing things like this. I like the noise in the images too, it certainly adds a special something.

3. I might get a 180 2.8. It's a good sneak around lens!

4. Thank you Kurt. :smile: You'll come to learn what a cave most gyms are. The springboard photo is ISO 12,800 and rather on the edge of correct exposure (I had f/2.8 at 1/500th with floating ISO). Still, I'm happy to have the memories preserved.

The 180 is definitely a fun lens, and so tiny compared to the 80-200/2.8

5. Oh yeah! I'm so used to my 80-200....this lens is tiny and unobtrusive! :smile:

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Gretchen; Charming and very excellent captures. I love the B+W and the grain( old film expression:biggrin:) . My favorite one is the third one in the series. She looks so happy:smile:.
    The Nikkor 180 2.8 ED is a honey of a lens.

gregory

7. gretchen,
    these are awesome
    great about the "private" lessons...
    ... perhaps as a side effect of the economy?

Em is cuter than ever
    LOVE the "stretching" one.... and the look on her face off the springboard

8. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Good point. I love my 80-200, but find I don't use it as much as I'd like due to the weight and what not. But I have seen the 180 in action and it is stealthy. I think I may have shot Uncle Frank's, but I don't remember. Are they expensive?

9. So is she getting ready for 2024? Where are they suppose to be held that year?

Love the look on her face off the vault spring board.

10. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Fine images Gretchen, the 180/2.8 is on my long term (and I mean very long term) consideration list.

I was going to make the same comment as David about the Olympics, I'll keep my eyes open for Em!

11. The first one is cute as heck!

12. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Beautiful images ! I love the shot with the Beam.

Matt.

13. Gretchen,

Very seldom, ok never until now, do I call my wife over to look at a post. "Stretching" really tugged at my heart. We just decided to look into some gymnastics classes for our 3 year old. She is going to love it!

Jack

14. Paulesko

Paulesko

Jul 23, 2008
    Spain
    I´ve just bought one of this for 375€ :D  I think it´s a bargain!!

15. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Outstanding! Number three is a perfect capture...

16. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Gretchen, these are precious, I just love the first one especially, too cute!

17. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Great shots Gretchen!

The 180mm is a little stealthy lens for sure...and so light compared to the 80-200. Here's a shot of the 180 next to the 80-200 (and a 70-300 VR in between) to show you how much shorter and thinner it is.

[​IMG]

18. LOL... if I had to guess the vault will be her favorite!

Love them.

19. Look how much fun she's having! Sophie starts tumbling class on Tuesday, I'll be sure to take my mamarazzi gear with me.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.