1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The 200 f4 and Odonata (graphic image)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by tojor, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Some shots with my like new 200mm f.4 micro that I bought from Patrick. Some of them are taken late afternoon when the sun was low.

Some Lestes sponsa - "copper damsel"

A young female

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    200mm    f/10.0    1/500s    ISO 250

A couple of young males

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    200mm    f/7.1    1/800s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    200mm    f/10.0    1/320s    ISO 250

A young male of Sympetrum sanguineum - "Bloodred Libelle". Later he will turn all red.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    200mm    f/9.0    1/800s    ISO 250

This young Sympetrum sanguineum only lived for one day when he became dinner to a Libellula quadrimaculata.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    200mm    f/25.0    1/50s    ISO 250

This shot of the female Orthetrum cancellatum - "Big blue arrow" was taken with the 200mm and a Kenko 1.4 TC.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    200mm    f/10.0    1/100s    ISO 250

2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Beautiful Torben. I look forward to seeing more with the 200.

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Paul. Still learning to use it properly. I think I will use it for damsels and smaller insects. The close focus distance is really nice without having to use tubes.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Amazing series, Torben! Glad you posted these. That 2nd to the last one!!!:eek: 

5. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Beautiful pictures. Looks like a superb lens.

6. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Nicely done. I use a 1.4 TC on my 105 VR sometimes. The extra reach is nice, but still leaves something to be desired sometimes.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Wonderful!!!! I'm so glad you are putting it to good use.

Thanks for sharing,

8. WOW! Torben that lens is certainly working well for ya! Stunning captures!

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks. I saw the catch and followed them and did a series of shots. Felt bad about the victim though.

Thanks Art. It's a very sharp lens for sure.

Thanks Gary. The reach is important for the more shy ones so with the 1.4 Kenko TC it certainly helps.

Thanks Patrick. And thanks for being willing to ship a newer than new lens abroad.

Thanks Dianne. I'm very happy with the lens.

10. Your work is incredibly good!

11. Wow Torben these are just fabulous...I love the first few copper ones the irridescent colour is just superb!
    Thanks for posting...always looking for your series.
    Barb

12. Torben, congrats on your new 200mm f/4 micro. It is an incredible lens and I sure it will do wonders in your capable hands.

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Rich. The Café has been a great inspiration and motivation.

Thanks Barb. I like the copper damsels as well myself. When they mature the turn blue like this:

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/200s    ISO 250

Thanks Birgit. I think it will be a great supplement to my 300mm f.4.

14. All are really great shots, but 5 is an awesome, wish it were mine, looks like you are having fun with the 200, did you use tubes on #5??

15. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Torben, you out did yourself. I am amazed at your abillity to capture such incredible detail.:wink:

16. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Tom. No tubes were used and I was allowed to get real close as she (it's a she) was more concerned about eating than about me.

Thanks Troy. The 200mm is a sharp lens indeed.

17. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Torben,
    I don't think we have the Copper damsels around here. At least I haven't seen them. The damsel I am keeping an eye out for is the American Rubyspot (Hetaerina americana) that is supposed to be around here.
    It's driving me nuts not being able to go out shooting because of my back.... hopefully a few more days.

18. one of the greatest lenses of all time in some very capable hands and look what ya get! Fantastic Torben.

19. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I think you do have some damselflies of the Family Lestidae in Oregon. You call them Spreadwings. They might look different from ours. The Rubyspot is a beautiful Calopteryx damselfly. We have two species of Calopteryx in our country. I was out last week shooting them.

Thanks Dave. It sure is nice to work with the best tools. I guess that goes for fishing too. :smile:

20. Excellent series, Torben!

Looks like money well spend! :smile:

I would love to have that lens too, but then again, I already have an excellent lens...:smile:

By the way, first S. sanguineum, looks like a female...check appendage :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.