The 300 AFS @ 750mm (1125 with 1.5 factor)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jeff Lee, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Here is the whole image:

[​IMG]

Here is a 100% crop:

[​IMG]

I think its ok, what do you think?

Nikon TCEII 1.7 & KenkoPro 1.4 on D200. I would like to report that using this combination resulted in the camera thinking the battery was drained and I got several blank frames. Once I turned both the camera and AFS to manual it corrected the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks great

3. Not bad. However that 100% crop looks.... uh.. unusual. Did you throw strong NR on it? I've never seen that noise pattern before, how did you process that? Just curious.

4. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Actually, no NR, just 50% Sharp in Raw, and I think I did another 50% in smart sharpen as I find the D200 needs a little boost. I ran the image through Noise Ninja 2 and it smoothed it out.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think you should be shooting at ISO 200
    Settings I keep at normal

I think that is more that 100% crop

6. Ok, so to me it looks as if you sharpened the image, thus intensified noise and THEN ran NN over it to get rid of it?

If so (just guessing) my way to handle noise is to get rid of as much noise as possible in RAW conversion (ok, was algo assuming you shot RAW). Raw Magick Lite does a good job on reducing chroma noise to nearly zero (but takes long). The remaining luma noise could then be reduced by the tool of your choice, I tend to do this only very mildly to keep as much detail as possible. Sometimes, I leave luma noise as it is, as its visibility decreases when scaled down and is much less disturbing than chroma noise.
    I sharpen the image always the first time AFTER handling noise. If there's luma noise left, I only sharpen after resizing to final output size to not intensify noise again.

Maybe you're already doing similar, if not, maybe it could help.

7. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Hi Jeff,

Beautiful photo. The detail in the eye is fantastic.

Sorry to hear (and thanks for sharing) about the battery problem. I've got a similar setup of D200 with AFS 300 and teleconverters, fortunately I haven't had that happen yet.

Take care.

8. andyp

andyp Guest

Here's a shot I took when I was playing with an old 3x tc and a 300 F4.

900mm 1/20 sec. :eek:

heron_900mm.

100% crop
    heron_900mm_crop.

9. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Hello andyp,

Thanks for sharing. I wanted to buy a new Kenko Pro 300 3X but couldn't find one locally in Hong Kong. :frown:

What kind do you have and do you like it?

10. andyp

andyp Guest

It has "3x NA Teleplus MC" printed on the side and it is old. That's all I know about it. It is not really usable. A tripod is essential and lots of luck just to focus it correctly :smile:

11. It definitely looks like too heavy an application of NN to me because I have done the same to my own photos. I would recommend moving the NN step to being the first thing done after taking the image off camera and sharpening for display as the very last step.

12. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    HK and All:

Today I retested using stacked Converters. I am now sure that my DBS was due to have the AFS on when the lens could not AF. After several hundred shots today with the same setup, but ensuring that AF was off (turned it off at the camera and lens), it worked great. Not something I will use that often but in a pinch when the 300 & 1.7 won't due, it does produce a useful result. My 13 X 19 inch prints look very good.