The 500MM Arrived

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jfenton, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Bob Johnson (www.earthboundlight.com) from who I purchased this lens was right...the lens it absolutely pristine. The damn case (foot locker) doesn't even a fingerprint on it so for $4500, I feel as though I've made an excellent deal.

One thing that I'm really happy with is that it is the exact same weight as the 200-400 and interestingly, balances better on my arm when hand holding it. Perhaps it's because it's a bit longer?

Anyway...it's suppose to rain had from Friday noon all the way through Monday. While I don't have a duck pond to go to this afternoon after work like Frank does....I guess I'm gonna have to go to the flooded soccer field near by and shoot some of the thousand or so geese that are fertilizing the place to see if the lens shoots as good as it works. Hopefully I ca get there and post a shot or two this evening. I'm really curious to see how the resolution is with the X.

Jim

PS...I took a pole of 4 other Nikon shooters at the office and all but one likes the color of this lens better than a straight black one. It's probably less likely to get stolen since it kinda looks like a Canon :)

2. Well good for you Jim. Look forward to some more outstanding images from you. That is a lens that I have always wanted but could never quite justify. Happy shooting.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Good for you in getting this one. I'll be very curious about shooting handheld - you may recall that was a topic of conversation for the last dinner at the Bosque session in December.

John P.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    John...

It's the exact weight as the 200-400 but it feels better balanced. While there's no VR, it should be no problem with adequate light and shutter speeds. Maybe I've just been lucky in being able to hold these big suckers succesfully?

Jim

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Hard to say on this stuff... I've had people tell me that I "can't" shoot with the 200-400mm AFS/VR handheld, or that I "won't be able" to get good shots with the 70-200mm AFS/VR unless I shoot with a tripod. And yet I do both.

There's a definite need for the tripod in our photography, especially on those pre-dawn mornings trying to shoot in low light. But there's also something of a mantra now that, no matter what the light conditions are, one can only shoot decent images on a tripod capable of lifting a hemi engine block out of the engine compartment of a truck, and so we get these debates.

If you recall the discussion that evening over steaks, I asked if the weight of the 500mm was too much for handheld shots, and was assured by no less then two people at the table that the weight and balance were simply going to preclude that.

Will shots on a tripod be steadier ? Highly likely. But I'm interested to see if reasonably good shots can be made with the 500mm handheld.

That ball's over in your court, old bean... Unless you just want to ship your new lens out to me for an indeterminate period. :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

John P.

6. You lucky DAWG!!!! :D :D :D :D :D Have fun with the new lens!! :D :D :D :D

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Ummmmmm John....

Thanks for the offer my friend, but I'll put it to yhe test personally :)

:)

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Re: Ummmmmm John....

Jim :

Well, that's just the kind of thing we offer to do here in the Cafe - relieve others of the terrible and onerous burden of testing expensive equipment.

Just as Microsoft likes to claim that certain things their software do are "features", the generous offer to take over using that heavy lens is a "service" for you ! :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

John P.

9. Nah, just takes practice is all Jim! You are just good at it now and will be successful with the 500 as well but maybe just not as many keepers. I shot this one hand held with a 500mm AF-S and a x1.4 teleconverter , ISO 200, 1/500, f5.6 attached to a D100;

[​IMG]

Uncropped, unaltered, Full frame image! Yes, lucky shot but like a friend of mine says, "sometimes better to be lucky than good". Enjoy the new lens, you will love it and be successful I am sure!!

10. Congratulations Jim..........

Now we are all going to be waiting in anticipation :shock:
    No pressure, will will just hang on every word and work you pictures over carefully :lol: The heck with the colors, you can always use camo tape to protect it, dont want that blazing white scaring away all those birds, sorry had to get that in, Im just jealous!!! Having said all this, pretty damn hard to beat what you have been able to accomplish the past couple of months :!: :!:

Keith

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    500 AFSII Update

Are you ready for this?????

It's been raining here since I received this and I haven't had the opportunity to take one blasted shot with it yet :(

I am happy to report that I dragged it around to two local stores today as they hadn't seen the "light gray" version and both places were really surprised to find that it wasn't as ugly as they figured it would be.

I hate to admit this...but I kinda like the color :)

Shhhh...I didn't really say that did I?

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey George

Did you really make a non black (light gray) lens black???????

13. Re: 500 AFSII Update

Damn straight. If I bought a lime green Testarossa, I'd learn to love it, too 8).