The 70-300VR is a candid machine

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I attended a staff meeting at the gym last night, and there were lots of good targets...

102836299.gif

but the kids were prone to mug for the camera.

View attachment 249123

Fortunately the reach of the 70-300VR let me capture them from across the room, getting more natural expressions. I shot wide open in aperture priority mode, and used auto iso to keep my shutter speed at a reasonable (for VRII) shutter speed of 1/160.

View attachment 249124

View attachment 249125

View attachment 249126

View attachment 249127

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Hey, Frank,

What fun! A target-rich environment! I especially like the second-to-last shot of the couple in b&w. Nice processing. Did you crop this shot at all? I really like the finished product.

You're clearly having some fun with the 70-300. Did you use flash on these shots?

3. Good morning, Rev. Doug! That couple was sitting at a crowded table, so I had to use a deep crop to isolate them. I didn't use flash on any of these samples.

The 70-300VR is great for candids, but I took one posed shot. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been encouraging this couple to get hitched just so I can book their wedding. :redface:.

102836292.gif

4. Man, that 70-300 really rocks in low light. I couldn't see any evidence of flash, but I'm surprised that you got such clean images. The room is obviously well lighted, but I've struggled getting good images in "well-lighted" gyms and it seems that appearances can deceive... especially for me.

I can understand your interest in booking a wedding for this couple. They look like they are lovely people who are lots of fun. I'm about all "weddinged out." I have one more on December 6, and then I'm done until Valentine's Day... and then the rush begins again in May. I have to confess that I sometimes wish I was on the other side of the camera. I've found that most photographers don't have time to sit and chat about camera stuff when they are about to do a wedding shoot.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Nice shots. Number 4 is super

6. I may have confused you, Doug. The first picture was the only one taken indoors. The rest were on the patio at dusk.

7. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Frank,

As usual, pictures are just great.

Phil.........:smile:

8. Great shots, as always Frank! Looks like that 70-300mm VR is quite capable in many scenarios!

9. Great pics

Extremely nice series of shots. Because of you (UF) and TMR Design I have reacquired this lens. Now to try and make it sing like you gentlemen do. :smile: