The 85 1.4 "creates" light . . .

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Marques, Mar 12, 2005.

1. I was browsing some older images looking for a shot to process with that new RAW Shooter converter and decided to use a basic snapshot of my son taken in the shade. I wanted to process it because it was taken with my favorite lens - the 85 1.4. I had low expectations for this shot but I must say the 85 surprised me (the raw converter surprised me too - it's FAST and free - two good features). ;)

This lens seems to pull every drop of light out of the scene and make it shine - even in the shade. :D It's also pretty sharp considering it was shot at 1.8. I'm convinced there are flat snapshots and snapshots with some pop - the difference being the glass.

BTW, the processing I did was a small WB tweak, mild eye sharpening, levels and a curve for mid tone contrast.

D2h & 85 1.4 @ 1.8 (EV +1/3):
    original.

BTW, I think posting on this board is different than DPR. Here I must use the "original" size in pbase to avoid strange artifacts.

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.

Joe

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shot of a handsome young man.

I don't like that program :<(((((((( it wont run on 2K.

cheers
    Gale

4. Fine looking boy Joe. The 85mm 1.4 lens is on my most desired list. For portraits I don't think it can be beat.

5. Great detail Joe. Pictures of children are just priceless...... :) :) :) :)

6. Thanks Gale. I'm surprised no W2K support, maybe in later version.

Regards,

Joe

7. Thanks Gordon, he's even more handsome when he smiles naturally (something he refuses to do for the camera). ;)

The 85 1.4 is THE potrait lens IMO. The only thing close was the 180 2.8 ED-IF from my slide days but that would be a tad long for 1.5 cropped sensors.

Regards,

Joe

8. Thanks Bryan. I certainly enjoy pics of the kids, and doing it with sweet glass is a bonus. ;)

Regards,

Joe

9. Joe
    thanks for feeding my lust for this lens.. it is soooo high on my list, you are right evey shot I have seen from this lens you can just tell it was shot with it.

10. YEAH JOE........your putting that lustful idea of a big f/2.8 VR lens in my head again................GET OUT.......GET OUT!!! :x :x :x :x :x

using Neil's...........LALALALALAALALALAALALALAALALALALAALA!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Joe,

The 85 1.4 is LOW on my list (being a birdie shooter), but it moves up each time I see a shot like this.... :roll:

I just can't decide if it is the lens, or the expert behind it. 8)

Very impressive shot. ;-)

Frank

12. Hi Mike,

Lens lust is good. Must get lens. :shock: :roll: :shock:

:D

Regards,

Joe

13. Hey Bryan, if you're going to get a 2.8 VR, why not get 2 and save another (me) from the dreaded disease. :D :D

Joe

14. Thanks Frank. It's funny but a 300 2.8 is high on my list and everytime you post a shot it moves me closer to divorce (but honey, I NEED it!). :D

Joe