The 85 1.4 is magical

Discussion in 'People' started by cleoent, Jul 18, 2008.

1. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I rented this lens from www.borrowlenses.com (awesome btw) for the week as I'm leaving on vacation on saturday! I got these 2 snaps @ 1.4 of my son Marcus. I think they are beautiful.

I'm drooling over this lens now. mmmmmmmmm.

download.php?id=1957.jpg

download.php?id=1958.jpg

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow, these r great, Leo!

;-)))

3. Nice color, sharpness and expressions! Great photos. What's the catchlights in his eyes?, somewhat distracting.

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    These are fantastic! Nice job!, no... GREAT job!

5. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    look good, what did you do in post processing

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow, indeed it is. Nice job putting that lens to good use!

7. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Woohoo! Coming from the 1.4 master himself :biggrin:

Hi Charles, directly behind me, i had opened the blinds to get some light in. My son's eyes are really really dark, i've been told to get as much light in them as possible!

Thank you :smile:

Auto levels, Sonya's eye tutorial 2, and crop, and a little sharpen for web.

Thanks, i'm in love!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  8. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Love how his eyes stand out

9. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Daym, those are great shots. Now just keep the lens and dont return it.

10. Renting the 85mm f1.4 lens is dangerous, now you have to have one. Both shots are cute as can be and show off the prowess of the 1.4 lens.

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    :wink:

Yup, i'm in trouble. Big trouble.

12. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You sure are! Gorgeous shots!

From this point forward, everything you shoot, you'll mentally compare to these shots. Just give in and buy one now. Save yourself alot of agony.. :biggrin::wink:

Oh my how I want this lens.

13. Yup!:biggrin:

14. Great captures. I have this lens and haven't been using it, so I'm trying to force myself to put it to use so it earns its keep!

15. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Guys,

I don't want to hijack this thread or anything but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

I bought the 85/1.4D yesterday and took it out of the box and noticed a small hole in the plastic that sits between the front element and the filter thread. It is the plastic surface that is engraved with "AF Nikkor 85mm 1:1.4". The little hole is not perfectly round like it is supposed to be there, but almost looks like a molding defect. Do your copies of this lens have the same? If not, I will return mine to the shop for exchange.

Thanks so much for your time.

Tim

16. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Give to me!

17. Great shots.
    I don't let the "Beast" hear this but, this is my FAVE lens :)

18. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Really beautiful portraits of your son I must say.

But it´s not just up to the lens, the photographer must know how to use the equipment and you seam to do so.
    The 85/1,8 or even the Sigma 50-150 will perform just as well under Most conditions, and sometimes better as the 85/1,4 has got a few big flaws when compared to modern lenses. ( CA most noticeable )

19. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    These are great. I have a question about the first though. I noticed that his eyes are pretty sharp and the middle of his hair is in focus. Why is it that the front of his hair near his forehead looks blurred? Is it an effect of the 1.4 DOF or is it a focusing problem? I am not picking at the shot; I am just trying to learn a little about the lens because I am shopping around for a new one. Thanks for sharing these and enjoy your vacation!

20. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    that's the DOF in effect. I didn't do it. The middle of his hair is almost on the same focusing plane as his right eye which was the focal point.