The absolutely last Black Skimmers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey folks -

These are my last Black Skimmer shots from a very productive morning at Stone Harbor Point in NJ. After these I'll get around to the little guys at the edge of the surf. BTW, don't think I've lost it because I'm still up at 2am - I'm near Seattle visiting my son and family. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to go looking for birds.

Now for the Skimmers. I suspect this first guy isn't more than a few days old -

This guy is an immature teenager...

I've never seen this behavior before. This guy was acting perfectly normal when he suddenly dropped to the sand, stuck out his neck and seemed to be playing dead. Very weird.... Anyone know what is going on here?

Finally, a couple of adults -

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

nice set Gordon
    My guess on the second one, well maybe he's practicing skimming :smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gordon

Really great pics. Up-close and personal...

Looks like the behavior is self protection, to deter you from harming or coming closer perhaps.

Really good stuff and great observations.

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Ben. Your guess on the one playing dead is hilarious! :biggrin: But it's as good a guess as any.

Gordon

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. Good guess on the behavior, and one that occured to me too. But that guy was just walking around with a bunch of other Skimmers, looking perfectly natural, when he just dropped. None of the other birds acted spooked. Very wierd.....

Gordon

6. Great series looks like you had a blast I agree the action of the bird seems similar To a killdeer where they try to act hurt or wounded to draw your attention away from the nest and young

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Mike -

Thank for the nice comments. I've never seen a killdeer perform (?) that behavior, but it makes sense. The unusual thing here though as that this guy is a juvenile. Go figure. :smile: How are you liking that 200-400VR?

Gordon

8. Nice set of shots, Gordon!

I caught the same behaviour as the 3rd one with a flicker earlier this summer:

I think Gale must be right on with the playing dead routine.

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Dennis -

I agree with both of you. Your flicker really looks dead. Sure he wasn't? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Gordon

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Gordon. Very well exposed.

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Harry!