The AF-S I 300 2.8 does Kart racing...(14 pics)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Ray C., Apr 5, 2007.

1. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Took the 300 2.8 out for a spin last weekend to shoot some go-karts. That lens continues to amaze me with it's focus speed and accuracy.

I'd never shot go-karts before and was impressed with their speeds which approach 120 kph. :eek:

I posted a couple of more here:https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=109305

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realize the following aren't so hot, but it was kind of a funny moment. I wish I had my 70-200 so I could have zoomed out on a couple...but my spare body w/70-200 were about 20 yards from me as this took place...:frown: (and this entire series (#6-14) happened in 29 seconds.) I set it down for a second to change cards and then just grabbed the 300 and started shooting. Stuff happens...:mad:

"Ok...I'm ahead of this guy..."
    [​IMG]

NEXT LAP
    "Hey! He's trying to cut me off around the turn!"
    [​IMG]

"ARGGHH!!!"
    [​IMG]

"I think we'll have a little 'chat' about this..."
    [​IMG]

"What the *%@# were you THINKING??!!"
    [​IMG]

"Hey, what are you doing to MY car?! Why I oughtaa...."
    [​IMG]

"...kick your a$$." (Literally:biggrin:)
    [​IMG]

It's ON now!
    [​IMG]

"Let me get this helmet off and see if you wanna go!" "OK boys, that's enough"
    [​IMG]

"Off to the showers for you young man..."
    [​IMG]

I apologize in advance for posting even more of what an esteemed Cafe member calls my "typical sports photos," but I figured, what the heck...the client was happy...:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Brew

Brew Guest

LOL that was a great series of captures!!! you'd think they're running NASCAR or something:biggrin:

3. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks Brew! It's the Kart Championship of Thailand. There's kids as young as 9...up to senior citizens and these guys are DEADLY serious, and toss big bucks into their teams, karts, drivers, etc. It really was a load of fun to shoot and I'm looking forward to the next race in May.

4. Hey Ray,

That was awesome. Great post! I love how you stayed with and followed the action. It tells the whole story from start to finish. Thanks for sharing.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is a very nice series and the narration makes it even better. Thanks for sharing, Ray.

6. Holy crap, this pic is amazing, the reflections in the helmet make it look Surreal + awesome (never seen a helmet do that from far away, only close range pictures seem to work like that for me)
    [​IMG]

Do you sell these?

7. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand

Thanks much Ty. From what I hear, the kid driving #68 has a record of aggressive driving, so I'm gonna keep a close eye on him next race.

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks Frank! Glad you liked the "color commentary." :biggrin:

9. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thank you Lex. The kid has a "mirror" type visor that I hope to get some good tight shots of next time.

As for selling, I was hired to cover two teams...but I've got several calls asking about next race. So, its getting interesting...

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ray-

great captures. karting is a fun sport, and the karts can be tough to track as they're small and low to the ground. the karts i've taken photos of run upwards of 100mph on the straightaways, and they're usually past me before i can get a good shot :mad:

by the way, looks like your sensor needs cleaning. have you considered using an ND filter so you don't have to stop down as much?

ricky

11. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    young man???????

looks like a young girl. :biggrin:

Awesome series and narration

12. Geo31

Geo31 Guest

Don't be dissing kart racing now.

More than half the grid in F1 came out of karting. M. Schumacher still races karts as do a number of F1 drivers.

13. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand

Rick, it's funny because I thought it was extremely easy to track these guys...as the numbers, bright helmets, unis, etc, are easy targets for the AF. My "keeper" rate was very high.

Yeah, my sensor could use a cleaning. :redface:

But as for an ND, I don't have one and it wasn't a problem...as I stopped way down only for the pans.

14. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks much Jim. He's really a good kid and both him and his brother are great drivers.

15. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ray-

i think it's the lens i'm using. the sigma 50-500mm is too slow to AF correctly. i don't have the same problem with the 70-200mm AF-S. either that or i suck at tracking :tongue:

i would recommend an ND filter. it'll allow you to get slower shutter speeds, and at the same time use wider apertures if your sensor is dirty (like mine :wink: ). it's not too much of a problem on overcast days, but in bright sunlight the 200 base ISO of the D2H is a drawback.

ricky