The All-Inclusive Mirrorless Picture Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
22476229624_629723c93a_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

23085296912_cb6b2b542b_c.jpg

22476223714_726ed1e7d0_c.jpg

Sony A7II, Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5

Beautiful shots with the Nokton!

I'm planning on posting a comparison on mu-43, but I'll tell you my initial thoughts between the two lenses. In daytime conditions shooting at hyper-focal and at f/8, I'm going to actually lean towards the Rok 7.5mm. While Olympus designed their fisheye to minimize flaring, I noticed quite a bit of purple blotches in the shots. The Rok on the other hand, seems designed not to go against the flaring, but works with it creating more dramatic lighting effects. The Rok is also a tad wider, with a slightly more dramatic perspective. Sharpness-wise the Olympus is very good and even a bit neutral and uniform across the aperture range. The Rok wide open doesn't seem as sharp, but at f/8 sharpness seems a tad "crispier" at smaller apertures, but you won't notice unless you pixel peep. Where the Olympus pulls is the smooth bokeh, defocus characteristics and the crazy close focusing! I tried focusing close up a couple of times, only to bump into the subject! :D

The number one reason to get the Olympus fisheye is for the 1.8 aperture! The ability to shoot wide open, close-up all the while having AF makes very compelling. I also picked up a Pan 7-14 and despite being both being ultra-wide angles, they tend to compliment each other more. The Pan 7-14mm is better suited for daytime use while the Oly 8mm is great for low light wide angle shooting in tight spaces.
Thanks Jonathan! Your initial thoughts sound most logical and the problem I had with the Rok FE was I used it in low light most of the time and therefore used it's max aperture most of the time which impacted hyper-focal focusing. The Olympus (and Panny 8mm FE) are AF and would assure better sharpness for this vision impaired amateur. The Oly FE also has a max. aperture of F1.8 which might actually give a bit of Bokeh when shooting close ups. Bokeh with a FE, who'd have thunk it? (thunk=my poor attempt at humor)
Bobby

Last edited:
Thanks Jonathan! Your initial thoughts sound most logical and the problem I had with the Rok FE was I used it in low light most of the time and therefore used it's max aperture most of the time which impacted hyper-focal focusing. The Olympus (and Panny 8mm FE) are AF and would assure better sharpness for this vision impaired amateur. The Oly FE also has a max. aperture of F1.8 which might actually give a bit of Bokeh when shooting close ups. Bokeh with a FE, who'd have thunk it?
Bobby

Unless you can find the Panasonic 8mm in the $300-450 range, I wouldn't bother buying that lens at full price. At $600 and up you're in Olympus 8mm territory. I bought mine less than retail, so I'd shop around or try using Greentoe.com to get a lower price.

Unless you can find the Panasonic 8mm in the $300-450 range, I wouldn't bother buying that lens at full price. At $600 and up you're in Olympus 8mm territory. I bought mine less than retail, so I'd shop around or try using Greentoe.com to get a lower price.
Thanks!
Bobby:coffee:

I'm planning on posting a comparison on mu-43, but I'll tell you my initial thoughts between the two lenses. In daytime conditions shooting at hyper-focal and at f/8, I'm going to actually lean towards the Rok 7.5mm. While Olympus designed their fisheye to minimize flaring, I noticed quite a bit of purple blotches in the shots. The Rok on the other hand, seems designed not to go against the flaring, but works with it creating more dramatic lighting effects. The Rok is also a tad wider, with a slightly more dramatic perspective. Sharpness-wise the Olympus is very good and even a bit neutral and uniform across the aperture range. The Rok wide open doesn't seem as sharp, but at f/8 sharpness seems a tad "crispier" at smaller apertures, but you won't notice unless you pixel peep. Where the Olympus pulls is the smooth bokeh, defocus characteristics and the crazy close focusing! I tried focusing close up a couple of times, only to bump into the subject! :D

The number one reason to get the Olympus fisheye is for the 1.8 aperture! The ability to shoot wide open, close-up all the while having AF makes it very compelling. I also picked up a Pan 7-14 and despite being both being ultra-wide angles, they tend to compliment each other more. The Pan 7-14mm is better suited for daytime use while the Oly 8mm is great for low light wide angle shooting in tight spaces.
Your results are more or less what I expected - the Rokinon is a spectacularly sharp lens and will also focus so close as to nearly touch the front glass. I mostly shoot mine at f/5.6 and would love a faster version but I'm not willing to spend the money. The Rok does handle direct sunlight very nicely, stop down to f/8 or more and you'll get some great sun rays.

A couple shots using the Olympus 8mm 1.8 FE and the E-M5 mk. II in 40mp hi res mode!

6th Street Bridge in Los Angeles:
bridge_support.jpg

bridge_skyline.jpg

sixth_bridge.jpg

la_skyline.jpg

A couple shots using the Olympus 8mm 1.8 FE and the E-M5 mk. II in 40mp hi res mode!

bridge_support.jpg

bridge_skyline.jpg

sixth_bridge.jpg

la_skyline.jpg
Amazing shots! You and FEs' work very well together.
Bobby
PS, can I say you have a Fisheye eye? (okay everybody groan at my lame joke)

bridge_support.jpg

bridge_skyline.jpg

sixth_bridge.jpg

la_skyline.jpg

I really like your processing and love the composition of the first image! You're off to a good start with the 8mm FE.

I really like your processing and love the composition of the first image! You're off to a good start with the 8mm FE.

Thanks Dave! The 40mp mode gives some leeway to crop. I would never shoot the 16:9 mode in the standard mode. Though I haven't tried the full 60mp RAW files yet in hi res mode!

Christmas season has begun in LA's Chinatown! ;)

E-M19 & 17mm 1.8:
TKF26948.jpg

While we're on a "fisheye" kick, here's one I took a while ago with my Bower 7.5mm FE(same as the Rokinon). I'm so close to the anchor and chain, they're not that sharp. Oh well, I'll just have to practice more.

Color:
55cee3d8b4b204c35b24ab8e0cc0dcc9_zpsd91im6xt.jpg

B&W:
0b6c48e11fbe8d2ee0cd9866f19edf7d_zpst4kjjrg1.jpg

Christmas season has begun in LA's Chinatown! ;)

E-M19 & 17mm 1.8:
TKF26948.jpg

Very nice leading lines. Santa's look'n good!

While we're on a "fisheye" kick, here's one I took a while ago with my Bower 7.5mm FE(same as the Rokinon). I'm so close to the anchor and chain, they're not that sharp. Oh well, I'll just have to practice more.

Color:
55cee3d8b4b204c35b24ab8e0cc0dcc9_zpsd91im6xt.jpg

B&W:
0b6c48e11fbe8d2ee0cd9866f19edf7d_zpst4kjjrg1.jpg

I like the shot in B&W! Were you shooting at f/8?

Thanks, Jonathan. I prefer the B&W, as well.

It doesn't show up on the EXIF data(because it's a manual lens?), but I'm pretty sure it was f/5.6.....with the focus set just shy of infinity. In this case, f/8 would probably have made all the difference. I had plenty of light and didn't need to be at f/5.6. However, I got lazy and paid the price. Btw Jonathan, if you have any tips or advice to pass along about using this FE, I would be most appreciative to hear them.

I've just got to get better acquainted with this lens; as it is excellent and I do like the unique perspective it provides. However, it's my first and only manual lens. I think that's why I tend to shy away from it. I must say though, your FE photos have inspired me to give it another "go".

Last edited:
Thanks, Jonathan. I prefer the B&W, as well.

It doesn't show up on the EXIF data(because it's a manual lens?), but I'm pretty sure it was f/5.6.....with the focus set just shy of infinity. In this case, f/8 would probably have made all the difference. I had plenty of light and didn't need to be at f/5.6. However, I got lazy and paid the price. Btw Jonathan, if you have any tips or advice to pass along about using this FE, I would be most appreciative to hear them.

I've just got to get better acquainted with this lens; as it is excellent and I do like the unique perspective it provides. However, it's my first and only manual lens. I think that's why I tend to shy away from it. I must say though, your FE photos have inspired me to give it another "go".

With the Rok, I just shot it at f/8 in the daytime at infinity. Plus I always tried to point it towards the sun or any light source to add to the drama! The Fisheye is more of an "emotional" lens verses a technical rectilinear in my opinion. Best to feel out the composition. Hope that helps! :D

F/8 it is! Aiming toward the light source for dramatic effect is also a very good tip. Thank you, Jonathan.

Ahi tuna poke rice bowl with spices and seasoning!

E-P5 & 8mm 1.8 wide open and close up!
poke_bowl.jpg

Ahi tuna poke rice bowl with spices and seasoning!

E-P5 & 8mm 1.8 wide open and close up!
poke_bowl.jpg
My goodness, Jonathan! That's one of the best "food" shots I've seen lately.....and to think it was taken with a FE. Really good composition and use of DOF. That 1.8 aperture on the FE is opening up a whole new world for you.

My goodness, Jonathan! That's one of the best "food" shots I've seen lately.....and to think it was taken with a FE. Really good composition and use of DOF. That 1.8 aperture on the FE is opening up a whole new world for you.
Jonathan, I agree with Dave!
Bobby :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom